who do you feel most sorry for...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KitsuneAndy

Poor animal :ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
I feel sorry for both of them, I'm not a fan wild animals being kept as circus performers. It's okay to see horses being ridden in a ring and other 'domesticated' performing ones such as dogs, but wild animals should not be in these places.!!!!!!!!!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Is there a trend happening with showing gory vids of animals having a bite on people?

I feel sorry for the lion, it had no choice to be there where as the humans did. If I was locked in a cage like that and made to perform for stupid entertainment then I would have bitten the man's head off too!:ohmy:

col

Legendary Member
We cant pick which animals are ok to keep and which are not just because we are used to certain animals being domesticated,they were all wild at some time,and i would say there are plenty more dogs or horses being mistreated than there are lions.It seems a contradiction to say some are ok to keep and others are not.That man was very lucky,but he didnt deserve that,if a dog turns on a family member whats the reaction?It needs putting down as its turned dangerous,nothing said about the owner deserving it?But because we are used to dogs being captive or horses too,that makes them ok to keep and use?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Took the kids to Blackpool Tower circus last night.... they only have one performing circus animal and it's a cardboard stegasourus with two blokes inside it!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sad and inevitable outcome for the lion, but I found myself strangely fascinated to see the lion doing to a human what we've all seen them doing to gazelles and the like on TV dozens of times.

I think if you work with an animal like that, you have to take that risk. I don't think it's down so much to a difference in 'wild' or 'domesticated' - a carnivore that size (well any big animal) can so easily hurt or kill a man, even accidentally. You have to have upmost respect for something a) bigger or stronger than you and/or :wacko: un-restrained by human ideas of 'right' and 'wrong'.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
Lion. It was not its fault it was in the situation, being treated as a play thing. Pity it didn't kill him!

A little at odds with your views on pet ownership and spending money on an animal's welfare, surely? I thought humans were always more important to you?

Mr Pig

Arch said:
A little at odds with your views on pet ownership and spending money on an animal's welfare, surely?

Not really. How can I put it.. I think that if you're going to keep animals of any kind they should be kept in a way that allows them to live a full life. However, sickness and death is a natural part of life for animals so I don't agree with avoiding it at all cost. Does that make sense?

For example. We have three pet rabbits. Probably more that 90% of the pet rabbits in the country are kept in little wooden boxes their whole lives where they cannot run, jump or do anything other than sit still. They are often also kept on their own. This is great for the owner as the rabbit is always happy to see them, as it gets no other company, and is nice and clean. But it's not very good for the rabbit.

I would never keep an animal like that. Our rabbits live outside in a 20x10-foot run which has a wooden hutch, two wooden shelters and a grass hill covering two thirds of the run for them to burrow in. It's interesting that given the choice the choose to live in burrows. This arrangement is not as good for us, as rabbits aren't naturally keen on being handled, get dirty and are hard to catch, but it's a decent life for the rabbits. We get to see how rabbits behave when they get to do what they want and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing they're not miserable. But if one of them got some disease that would cost hundreds to fix, night night rabbit!

For many people a pet it there to serve them. They'll keep a pet alive, put it through painful operations etc, because 'they' don't want to loose their pet. It's got sod all to to with the animal's happiness. After all, once it's dead it's dead. It's not unhappy any more is it?

In my opinion if you want to keep an animal you should only do so if you can let it live a life. "I spend two grand on an operation for my budgie, which I keep in a tiny cage!" F*** off!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
For many people a pet it there to serve them. They'll keep a pet alive, put it through painful operations etc, because 'they' don't want to loose their pet. It's got sod all to to with the animal's happiness. After all, once it's dead it's dead. It's not unhappy any more is it?

Well, the same can be said for humans. Why bother with human medicine?

At risk of veering off into the Euthanasia thread, why not just put people out of their misery, save even more money to spend feeding the starving, etc..?

Mr Pig

Arch said:
why not just put people out of their misery, save even more money to spend feeding the starving, etc..?

Money has never been the issue. Just that the countries that have it aren't very interested in hungry people.

Top Bottom