who do you feel most sorry for...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
Money has never been the issue. Just that the countries that have it aren't very interested in hungry people.

It was the issue - you were bemaoning the fact that people spend a fortune on treating a pet, or leave all their money to animal charities. That was what I was talking about....

Mr Pig

Arch said:
you were bemoaning the fact that people spend a fortune on treating a pet. That was what I was talking about.

There's a difference between what governments and individuals are responsible for. You suggested not treating sick humans as a way to help feed the hungry, that is something that governments are responsible for. My saying that money was not the issue was in response to that, which I thought was obvious?

Spending disproportionate sums on pet health is a personal choice, something we are each directly responsible for. Completely different issue.

And if you remember I value human life more than animal life so I don't think that not treating humans is the same as not treating animals, or rather only treating them up to a point. However you might want to consider that we 'do' only treat humans up to a point. We do not employ every available resource in the treatment of human illness, only the ones that pass the financial viability tests. If the NHS can draw a line under treatment for a human what's so abhorrent about doing it with a cat?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The Lion. If you want to see big cats or other wild creatures go to Africa and see them in the wild were they should be.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
col said:
We cant pick which animals are ok to keep and which are not just because we are used to certain animals being domesticated,they were all wild at some time,and i would say there are plenty more dogs or horses being mistreated than there are lions.It seems a contradiction to say some are ok to keep and others are not.That man was very lucky,but he didnt deserve that,if a dog turns on a family member whats the reaction?It needs putting down as its turned dangerous,nothing said about the owner deserving it?But because we are used to dogs being captive or horses too,that makes them ok to keep and use?

there is probably a reason lions aren't pets... they are undomesticatable (i just made that word up ;)) and if a dog, or any other animal, turned on a human after being caged and whipped every day of its life, i would say the human deserved it.

Mr Pig

buggi said:
there is probably a reason lions aren't pets... they are undomesticatable

Perfectly good word if you ask me ;0)

It seems a contradiction to say some are ok to keep and others are not

I don't think it's about whether to keep animals, it's about the way in which they are kept. Many animals can be kept by humans in perfectly satisfactory conditions that allow the animal to be healthy and happy. Just that a lion in a box doesn't qualify.

on the road

Über Member
I feel sorry for the lion, the fact that they shot it a couple of times and then left it to die a painful death. Why didn't somebody then go in there and shoot it in the head?

Abitrary

on the road said:
I feel sorry for the lion, the fact that they shot it a couple of times and then left it to die a painful death. Why didn't somebody then go in there and shoot it in the head?

Shut your mouth up!!! I love that lion. I feel soweee now.

col

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
Perfectly good word if you ask me ;0)

I don't think it's about whether to keep animals, it's about the way in which they are kept. Many animals can be kept by humans in perfectly satisfactory conditions that allow the animal to be healthy and happy. Just that a lion in a box doesn't qualify.

When it comes down to it,all animals who are pets are being kept in an unnatural environment,saying they are happy in their twenty foot by ten foot enclosure is a bit misleading,it doesnt matter how nice the cage,its still imprisoned isnt it?

Mr Pig

col said:
When it comes down to it,all animals who are pets are being kept in an unnatural environment

Yes, but it doesn't mean they can't be very happy. Dogs are pack animals but for many, living with an active human family is a reasonable substitute. Is living in heated houses with TV's and hot water a natural environment for humans? We deal with it though ;0)

The problem is the old woman who keeps a lone dog for company but sits watching TV all day and only lets the dog out to the back green for a pee now and then. Yes, she loves her dog but what life does it have? Nothing to do all day and night but lie about and sleep. That's what I mean about people claiming to be animal lovers when it's really their own needs and wants they are thinking about.

col

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
Yes, but it doesn't mean they can't be very happy. Dogs are pack animals but for many, living with an active human family is a reasonable substitute. Is living in heated houses with TV's and hot water a natural environment for humans? We deal with it though ;0)

This is our environment now as we have evolved,let all the pets go and see how they evolve,maybe they will end up making themselves more comfortable in some way:smile: They have no choice but to deal with it really do they?

The problem is the old woman who keeps a lone dog for company but sits watching TV all day and only lets the dog out to the back green for a pee now and then. Yes, she loves her dog but what life does it have? Nothing to do all day and night but lie about and sleep. That's what I mean about people claiming to be animal lovers when it's really their own needs and wants they are thinking about.

I agree,when it comes to pets of any sort,its all about individuals pleasing themselves.It doesnt matter how nice the cage or garden,its still a prisoner.It might not realise it,as its probably known nothing else,but then we breed in captivity so they dont miss their natural lives do they?

Mr Pig

col said:
but then we breed in captivity so they don't miss their natural lives do they?

What natural lives? Domestic cats for instance are not in any way natural animals. They've been created by breeding, were it not for man they would not exist. They don't have a place in the natural world.

Our rabbits are the same, a Lop-cross, albino Lionhead and a Dutch. Not a 'real' rabbit among them ;0) Man and animals have always coexisted, their lives are often intertwined.

col

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
What natural lives? Domestic cats for instance are not in any way natural animals. They've been created by breeding, were it not for man they would not exist. They don't have a place in the natural world.

Exactly ,because we want them we cross breed to get what pleases us most,so again an unatural thing like you say.

Our rabbits are the same, a Lop-cross, albino Lionhead and a Dutch. Not a 'real' rabbit among them ;0) Man and animals have always coexisted, their lives are often intertwined.

They have i agree,as a food source mainly,but we have bred or trained them to live in our world of houses gardens and cages,not natural for them again,but we choose to live this way as its more comfortable for us.Im not saying its wrong to have pets,im just pointing out the way i see it as far as its not their natural way of living,and this is ours as we choose to live this way.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Mr Pig said:

sounds alright to me! ;)

animals have a way of telling you when they are not happy. When Zero was not happy on his own he told me... AND ALL THE NEIGHBOURS... by keeping us up all night. Now he has Taffy he's very happy. they play and giggle all the time.

Mr Pig

col said:
I'm just pointing out it's not their natural way of living, and this is ours as we choose to live this way.

Sure. I guess often the best way to treat animals is to leave them alone but many pets and livestock animals depend on us as they are not 'natural' animals and would not fair well in the wild.

Now he has Taffy he's very happy. they play and giggle all the time.

I think that most animals do better with company of their own kind. I find it very sad that people often keep single animals that like to live in groups. I don't think people should be allowed to keep an animal unless they can show it will be well cared for.

Top Bottom