Who does the longest cycle commute to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DannO

Hi, I have recently changed job role and I now drive 30 miles to work and the same back. I recently used to work 5 miles from home and enjoyed cycling the distance on a daily basis. I was wondering if anyone would or infact does commute anywhere near 30 miles each way and would it be worth me giving it a go? Cheers

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Doesn't lukesdad have a monster commute?
My commute is 17miles each way and is not the longest.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It's doable but would be draining in the long term, especially if done 5 days a week, would it be possible to mix and match with public transport or driving part way?

We've had similar discussions before and, for a lot of us, it came down to time as much as distance, though 30 miles each way would be at the extreme end distance wise. IIRC most people favoured something in the 30-60 minute range, depending on the person that probably covers an 8-20 mile distance.

Having done a 40 mile round trip daily, though not for that long, I came to the conclusion that about 13-15 miles each way would be my ideal. You can always extend on a Summers evening etc if you fancy it. Oh, and terrain will matter as well, mine was fairly flat, or pancake by some peoples standards :biggrin:

endoman

I don't do it every day, but it's 15 miles each way, but sometimes like today, I take a longer route home, today was 35 miles back, lovely ride as well!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
32 mile round trip for me.

Lukesdad had a 60 mile round commute if I remember rightly and there was a girl who posted a while back who was doing a 80 mile round commute a couple of days a week. She had a blog about it. I'll try find it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mine isn't the longest, it's 23 miles or so, and I can hate it. That's also because I do quite a physical job, which is at roughly similar effort to cycling at a slower pace than I do on my commute.

400bhp

Guru
Mine isn't the longest, it's 23 miles or so, and I can hate it. That's also because I do quite a physical job, which is at roughly similar effort to cycling at a slower pace than I do on my commute.

You don't count.

You ride one of them weird things.:laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Can you blame me for using a lazy bike when I have that much physical workload?

not in the slightest but you need to make it clear, that you lie down on the commute, when you post in these threads. Otherwise folks will be unaware of what a bone idle sod you actually are :whistle:

Top Bottom