Who does the longest cycle commute to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I only do a 9 mile each way commute to work 3 days a week (I'm only agency and this is all they give me most weeks). I might think about extending it by a few miles just to get a bit of variety into my route.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I do a 20 mile round trip on the days that I work away from home.

I have a mate from where I used to work who tried doing a 44 mile round trip every day, with big hills, he had to cut it down to a few times a week because he started getting knee problems. Doing that amount of miles, every day for months on end, with big hill climbs each way, can't be good for you.

AlickB

i do a 32 mile round trip which is 3 days on 3 days off (I have an amazing working pattern for a chef lol), the only bugger is the 14 hours of hard work inbetween :tongue:
this last week however I have been going by train as i knackered my leg avoiding a SMIDSY :angry:

jagman.2003

Über Member
I did a 48 mile round trip commute in a previous job occasionally. I was fit enough, but it was the time it took that caused the most problems. I had to get up very early compared to driving. I now do a 27 mile round trip to a different job & can get up at the same time.

Daniel T

Mine is currently just over 22 miles each way, with mixed terrain. Depending on the last few miles/route for those miles it can be up to 45 miles round.

Because it's mainly rural it seems to fly by and I have gotten the time down to around 85 minutes (without a monster headwind grrr)

I haven't done the full 5 days though, as I need the car once a week during work hours.

:tongue:

Daniel T

Mine is currently just over 22 miles each way, with mixed terrain. Depending on the last few miles/route for those miles it can be up to 45 miles round.

Because it's mainly rural it seems to fly by and I have gotten the time down to around 85 minutes (without a monster headwind grrr)

I haven't done the full 5 days though, as I need the car once a week during work hours.

:tongue:

Funny thing is,

This commute takes around 3 hours all inclusive per day. Which sounds a lot initially, but when you consider the same journey by car takes me 50 minutes, and then 5 minutes to park up, 10 minutes to walk from the multistorey to the office. Then a slightly longer drive home.

I only actually lose around 45-50 mins out of the whole day,...................which...............................ta da! I used to spend 1 hour a day at lunch in the gym doing cardio :laugh: so I actually gain about 10 mins a day through cycling 44 miles..........at a third of the speed as my car!

Road bikes rock

Indeed... it is vile having to get PT for any reason...
angry.gif

My round trip is only 13 miles approx so nothing major, but the guy i work with catches the bus ( the service from Birmingham to Wolverhampton is truly shocking.i.e overcrowded and unreliable) he travels about 3 miles, and with the waiting time never gets home in less than an HOUR. He looks astonished when i say i go twice as far as him in about half the time. Ianrauk public transport is vile and a scandalous rip off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
the guy i work with catches the bus ( the service from Birmingham to Wolverhampton is truly shocking.i.e overcrowded and unreliable) he travels about 3 miles, and with the waiting time never gets home in less than an HOUR.
He could easily walk that in 45 minutes!

400bhp

Guru
Wrong way round.

No exercise = fat ****

Exercise = still be a fat **** but heading in the right direction.

:angel:

007fair

When I do go into the office I cycle 8 miles to the station then 0.5 at the other end to the office.
The return is all on bike - 40 miles by car but less by bike as I can take a more direct route. I haven't Garmin'd it yet but suspect about 35 miles So 43.5 all in BUT ..only once a week! The other days its a strenuous 15 metres from bed to desk with detour to the loo

Top Bottom