Who does the longest cycle commute to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It was pathetic shark who had a huge commute.

Jezston

Über Member
I tried doing a 40-something mile round trip commute for a few days but dropped back to 20 with the other lot on the train - it wasn't so much that it was tiring (it was) it was just the time. With two busy city centres and a long section of towpath it was 3 hours out of my day.

Cycling started to get boring and I didn't want that!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi, I have recently changed job role and I now drive 30 miles to work and the same back. I recently used to work 5 miles from home and enjoyed cycling the distance on a daily basis. I was wondering if anyone would or infact does commute anywhere near 30 miles each way and would it be worth me giving it a go? Cheers

We created a High Roller chart some time ago, I wonder if its changed much

http://www.cyclechat...hl__high+roller

23septshield.jpg

My main office minimum commute is 11+9.8 miles (yes they differ as I would never return up this specific road). Normal 10.5+11.5 with a nice 20 miler home on and off.

Next office is normally 22+22. Because of a bridge closure the other day, I had to do a 33 mile jaunt, but could return on a 20 mile road, but going on a road that i'd rather do an extra 2 miles to avoid.

Commuting to the main office on the fixed, the hills are too bad to use it to my 2nd office. All year too, rain and shine... I even made it in in 6+ inches of snow :biggrin:

Buddfox

Veteran
This post has shamed me into action! My commute is actually only 4.5 miles, but from this morning I've added an additional 4 mile loop onto it to try and step up a little. Will never get close to the big guys but it feels good to have done it!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This post has shamed me into action! My commute is actually only 4.5 miles, but from this morning I've added an additional 4 mile loop onto it to try and step up a little. Will never get close to the big guys but it feels good to have done it!

Good for you..
thumbsup.png

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
My work is 2.5 miles away. I'm not even sure if that counts as "commuting" to be honest.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
12 miles one way 5 days a week.

I manage this year round and only stop if I'm pretty ill or if it's snowing.

Would go up to 15, but not much more.

Gotta think about days when you're tired or are carrying a minor bug.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I tried doing a 40-something mile round trip commute for a few days but dropped back to 20 with the other lot on the train - it wasn't so much that it was tiring (it was) it was just the time. With two busy city centres and a long section of towpath it was 3 hours out of my day.

Cycling started to get boring and I didn't want that!

If I take a train, bus or car, my 40 mile commute takes anything from 2-6 hours (return)....SIX HOURS!!

so taking 2.5 hours to run in and out on a bike is a no brainer when it comes to time.

for me, its the effort, I've never managed more than 3 days a week and am currently averaging 1.....pfft....Will soon be back to 3 though

JBP

I'm currently doing a 14 mile each way, limiting myself to two consecutive days by bike and then one by train.

Most of the people where I work are fairly local to the area and can't believe I commute by bike sometimes (we finished at 11pm last night and so I didn't get home until gone midnight), but it's on par with the train in getting me there and back (including walking to and from the station at each end.

I accepted an offer of a lift home the day after having a minor 'off' last week, and due to the lift offerer having to stay behind to fill in his contract, and then only going partway to my destination meaning I had to wait for a bus, which then only went part way to my destination again, what would have been an hour or so by bike turned into two and a half hours by various means!

bornagainst

Über Member
24 miles round trip. 5 days a week. Only started in Feb of this year, but I'm already convinced that I'll never go back to public transport unless I'm desperate.

Top Bottom