Who is hibernating now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
All weather commuter here and some of the finest rides are between now and March.

Having said that, I start longing for Spring by early Feb.

Stevec047

Über Member
I am not stopping for anything the last 12 months have inspired me to push even harder next year so the plan is to do shorter but harder rides during the winter to a) boost my strength b) to keep warm when it gets really cold c) to continue loosing the excess weight.

Rain sleet or snow won't stop me but it may slow me down a little and if the bike gets ruined then it's an excuse to purchase a new one next sprung.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No way I'm hibernating!
For a start I don't have a car, still need to get to work in winter.
For a second, this winter marks the start of my 6th year commuting, I was almost 48 when I started, terrified of riding the roads.
Look at me now, last summer I cycled to England and back :becool:
Btw, the weather has really been mild here, never really cold so far, hardly any rain, certainly no wind storms. We will probably get the worst of it after the new year.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Rubbish. You'll likely never actually forget how to ride a bike, but your skills and roadcraft will degrade for sure. This is why people practice things, to enhance and maintain their ability to conduct a particular task. You've only to look at the typical roadie wobbling about the place come Spring after four or five months on nothing but rollers.
Well, I do ride sometimes in winter , but a lot less than summer and have never worried about my riding skills.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Rubbish. You'll likely never actually forget how to ride a bike, but your skills and roadcraft will degrade for sure. This is why people practice things, to enhance and maintain their ability to conduct a particular task. You've only to look at the typical roadie wobbling about the place come Spring after four or five months on nothing but rollers.

I had to have an operation as a teenager and wasn't allowed to ride my bike for about six months afterwards, when I got back on the bike I couldn't balance on the bike and in effect had to learn to ride again.

When I came back to cycling after going through the usually gets a driving licence gets fat phase I got on the bike and rode straight away.

My experience both proves and disproves the theory you can't forget to ride a bike :unsure:

I was out yesterday morning and it was feckin baltic - 3 pairs of socks and overshoes and I still couldn`t feel my feet after 20 mins! I love cycling in the winter time but I also love using my turbo. I also hate cleaning my bike so if it`s wet out - I`ll just jump on the turbo (like I did today and watched Gillette Saturday Soccer) so I don`t have to clean a mucky bike

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I used to hibernate because i believed the weather was bad for the bike, and i didn't have winter kit. I've kitted myself out with winter kit for the first time this year however, and I'm happy to wash and oil the the bike; I couldn't face 4 months off this year, maybe I'll pause in Jan / Feb if it's rotten. But for now I'm looking forward to my crisp, chilly and breezy ride tomorrow.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Love the winter I start to look forward to Spring - Summer around Feb. The only thing I do not like is how much longer it takes to get set to leave all the extra layers. Sadly I admit that when it was really hot I was dreaming about October!! Only thing that stops me is snow. If it snowed enough down here I would invest in studded tyres.

The most shocking thing on this thread is that @Marmion rides a bike I just thought he was an armchair racing cyclist enthusiast knobber....

Brandane

Legendary Member
I will be doing the same as I do the rest of the year - riding if I feel like it, when the weather is not wet or stupidly windy. We've just had the nicest weather of the year up here; in OCTOBER! It was much nicer than any of the so called "summer" months. Last year was exactly the same with a ropey summer then a nice autumn.
There can be nice days in December or January too, which are more conducive to me getting out on a bike than some of the crap we get the rest of the year. As an added bonus, I don't have to wear shorts in the colder weather. I've always hated wearing shorts, I think it stems from primary school.
I guess that makes me a year round FWB'er :smile:.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm not hibernating, but reckon I'll chicken out of the commute tomorrow. In the afternoon the forecast is showing my 16 miles home will be into winds of over 40mph :wacko:

Top Bottom