Who rides in basic trainers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
I've used spd sl pedals on the road bike for 18 months now, but recently my knee's have been aching (old running injury) so swapped to flat pedals for a few weeks to see if that improves the knees, Only thing I have noticed, that when going up hill my feet sometimes slip on the pedals.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i prefer looks (keo/delta) to spd, but then the spd shoes i have are from lidl, so that may be why (i find i get a burning sensation where the cleat is after about 10 miles).

if you're getting sore knees, make sure the saddle is the right height. sit on the saddle, and put your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the downstroke. your leg should be perfectly straight (giving you a slight kink at the knee when riding with your foot further forward). if not, raise/lower the seat accordingly…

OP
OP
AndyWilliams

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Thanks for the replies, well most of them anyway. Nice to know what others wear and how they get on.
Not sure why some members need to get shirty.......any how.
I did 67 miles today in trainers, moved my feet a lot, so I thinkg its best if I stay with trainers.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The main benefit of clipless pedals is they enable you to spin at a high cadence.

The pros couldn't manage 100rpm+ on flat pedals because their feet would fly off them.

Another benefit of clipless is you feel better connected to the bike, although I suspect that feeling would be lost on most leisure riders, including me.

My cadence - and that of lots of other leisure riders I see - is about 50 or 60rpm which makes clipless largely pointless.

Stiff soles, as said upthread, are worth having.

To get a stiff sole on an ordinary shoe usually means buying a heavy shoe which is not ideal for cycling.

The best solution is probably bike-specific MTB trainer-type shoes which are light, but also have a stiff sole.

I have a pair made by Shimano, but they are just a smidgin too small for me so I don't use them much.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
The main benefit of clipless pedals is they enable you to spin at a high cadence.
............., although I suspect that feeling would be lost on most leisure riders, including me.

My cadence - and that of lots of other leisure riders I see - is about 50 or 60rpm which makes clipless largely pointless.
The best solution is probably bike-specific MTB trainer-type shoes which are light, but also have a stiff sole.....

a sensible outlook which applies to the large majority of us ''leisure'' riders i suspect

off to find some MTB trainer-type shoes

byegad

Legendary Member
I used trainers to begin with but given the state of our roads, this was some 14 years ago and they haven.t got better since, I found I'd occasionally lose a foot from the pedals. So after a year or so I fitted toe clips which solved the problem, I kept them slack enough to slip my foot in easily and left them like that until I bought a recumbent. For recumbents you really need to be sure that you don't lose a pedal so I went clip-less for the 'bents. I still used the toe clips for the DF bikes. These days I only ride recumbent trikes and the DFs are long gone.

jnrmczip

i ride with ordinary trainers to. I have found though that puma Suede are excellent as they do have a thick sole which is comfy and they are less sweaty than leather trainers and also a bit lighter. I do intend to buy some cycling shoes and then i will be able to make a better judgement on which is best , but for now the trainers are fine.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Excellent article! I especially liked this bit:

More efficient muscle use, less chance of repetitive stress injury. Regular cycling shoes may give you some lateral float, but they lock your foot to the pedal (fore-and-aft wise) in one place, and that's not how we use our feet. When you go up stairs or do leg presses at the gym (efforts not unlike pedaling up a hill), you push with the middle of your foot. Not with the ball of your foot, as you've been told is proper for cycling.

When you run fast, you run on your toes (or off the ball of your foot). When you walk, you land on your heel. Middle-distance runners run off their mid-foot.

Your foot is just a foot, but you use it different ways for different kinds of efforts, and click-in cycling shoes don't let you do that.

Pretty much as I thought then. So unless you are a racing cyclist (as qualified at the start of that article) then being clipped in is of no advantage. Read it and weep, @400bhp !

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think it was Sky - only they could afford it - who did some research into extra power from the clipped in upstroke.

The conclusion was the benefit was at maximum a couple of percent, and none at all in lots of situations.

That percent or two could be worth having for racers on a 150km stage because it could make a few metres difference at the finishing line.

But for the overwhelming majority of non-pro cyclists, there is no worthwhile power benefit from being clipped in.

byegad

Legendary Member
I suspect the Pale Rider is correct. I like them on my recumbent trikes as they avoid me catastrophically re-structuring my knee under the cruciform on my trikes, and the fact that the 'pull' allows me to accelerate without putting undue stress on my Arthritic right knee.

The upward pull effect over a sustained effort is, I suspect, virtually zero. Rather like the perennially 'invented' arm and leg powered bike it ignores the physiological fact that the 'push muscles' of your legs are well capable of putting you into oxygen debt on their own without using any other muscle group!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Clipless pedals (actually they clip on) are said to be one of the most important discoveries in cycling. It makes you pedal in circular motion and if properly fitted, correct movements of ankle and other joints in the foot. But you need to get used to it. I am too clumsy and scared to use them for fear of fal

Ditto, but I use straps, which help you to keep your feet firmly in the right position. Personally, I use astroturf football trainers, as the pimples on the sole grip the pedals nicely and never slip in the wet. That might be something that could improve the OP's experience if he doesn't feel ready to change his pedals yet. Everyone seems to have their own entrenched opinion on this issue, though.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Started with trainers, switched to mtb shoes without cleats, then to clueless. I find normal trainers hurt your feet if you cycle hard.

RhythMick

Über Member
As to WHICH trainers I wholeheartedly agree it's whatever is to hand, but I have found that the cheap Lonsdale trainers are light, grippy, durable and comfortable.

MarkF

Guru
Trainers for me and trainer/sandals with hard soles for touring, with toe clips. I like wearing them because they are my " normal" wear too and are super comfy. I don't think I actually cycle anywhere, regularly, without doing a fair bit of walking/looking around too. I do have some old lace up SPD Shimano's that have a soft (ish) rubber sole, I am calling those trainers too. :thumbsup:

mxH0-DffbZLiv_78aLw5X2w.jpg

Top Bottom