Who rides in basic trainers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Used toe clips for about 15-20 years as I thought they were essential, but after buying a pair of flats (for no other reason than the colour) I quickly realised the toe clips were anything but essential... I never thought twice about flicking the pedal to get my foot in the clip until i didn't have to do it any more. Along with the little computer, the toe clips is one of the best things I've taken off my bike :smile:

lesley_x

Über Member
I used flats for 4 years and made the switch to clipless (SPD) quite recently.

I much prefer clipless. I can't explain it, but I feel more confident on the bike. My brain is engaged more when I'm riding and I have to commit to manoeuvres fully. I feel more... in control? More confident?

Again, I don't know why, and I'm sure there is no rational basis for it but I feel more efficient climbing. I think it comes back to the feeling of control I have over the bike.

I wouldn't say I'm faster, after all a pair of shoes can't fix the engine ^_^ but they add a level of enjoyment to cycling I didn't think they would.

My years of flat trainers definitely had a place, though. And I sure miss the flexibility of flat pedals. Since I'm using MTB shoes it's not so much of an issue though.

Big Nick

I started with trainers and went to clipless a few months ago

Rode my new mtb last Saturday to test the set-up with the standard flat pedals on and really missed the clipless and my feet slipped on the pedals a couple of times

Put a set of clipless on when I got home!

Give them a try is the only advice really

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Depends really on what you are trying to achieve with cycling. For me a method of transport to get to work/shops or to go out and explore the countryside, why do I need my cycling to be "more efficient". I've also got several QOM's all achieved wearing Birkenstocks and I can't be bothered to cycle 5 seconds faster to get a faster time. Ok I would probably be able to do a better track stand if I wasn't wearing them but I can do enough of a one to be useful. I think I would most desire to be a utility cyclist rather than a sporty cyclist. I don't wear sports clothes either when I'm cycling most of the time.

KneesUp

Guru
Used toe clips for about 15-20 years as I thought they were essential, but after buying a pair of flats (for no other reason than the colour) I quickly realised the toe clips were anything but essential... I never thought twice about flicking the pedal to get my foot in the clip until i didn't have to do it any more. Along with the little computer, the toe clips is one of the best things I've taken off my bike :smile:
I've gone the other way (in that I haven't got around to buying a set of clips for one bike) and I find I'm forever struggling to get the pedal in the correct place at traffic lights. I wasn't really aware that I never take my right foot out of the clip until now.

Top Bottom