England : Lancashire Wiggle Dragon Ride 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjcafferkey

Regular
I'm thinking of doing the Wiggle Dragon Ride in June. It's in Wales all closed roads, 92 miles of it I think.

Has anyone done this before or thinking of doing it this coming year? Just looking for some tips.

Thanks.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Dragon sportive isnt normally on closed roads unless its changed for 2013?? Are you confusing it with the Etape Cymru?

I have ridden the 120 mile version of the dragon and have ridden the roads many times as I live local to it. Attracts about 5000 entries and sells out in a few hours when it comes on line so get in quick.Its hilly but none of it is stupidly steep some amazing scenery from the tops of the climbs not that you will hang around to enjoy the view.Amazing fast descents .

In previous years it got a lot of criticism for being poorly organized but last year all the feed back seemed to be positive ,it seems that finally they have got their act together.

PS a numberof us on here are doing a 100 miler around the dragon route in April. Have a look for details in the informal rides forum if your interested.

OP
OP
tjcafferkey

tjcafferkey

Regular
Excellent thank you.

Yeah think I was thinking of the wrong race. I'm going to sign up to the Dragon Ride I think.

I'll check out that forum you mentioned, thanks again.

OP
OP
tjcafferkey

tjcafferkey

Regular
Haha! Yeah well I could always do both.

Love the atmosphere at the events but I think I'm going to join you guys as well assuming that's alright?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Had a look at the website earlier.Apparently instead of just taking the first 5000 that manage to get through on the internet now they are allowing anyone interested to apply on line then put all the applications into a ballot.

They say its to make it fairer but then kind of spoil that illusion by saying if you pay £55 you avoid the ballot and get straight on the list. What happened to the spirit of fairness there then?

Personally I wouldnt pay the normal price of £45 just to ride on public roads and get a free banana or two but plenty obviously think it is value for money as no doubt it will sell out again.

OP
OP
tjcafferkey

tjcafferkey

Regular
Sounds like they're trying to make a little extra money if you ask me. I'm probably going to pay the £55 just to ensure I get a place. Really looking forward to it I hope the weather is good.

endoman

Have enough mental trouble paying Cheshire Cat and Tour of Peak, now I've discovered Audax I'm much happier spending 5 quid for that. Plan a 300K one next year. I do like riding in large groups etc, but there is a limit to how much , and 40 odd quid for none closed road in UK is way too much for me.

OP
OP
tjcafferkey

tjcafferkey

Regular
Yeah you're right there. I'm trying to find events within the north of England. Know of any decent ones or sites I can find them on?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've decided to enter this as well as the Cheshire Cat. Etape du Dales is also on the list ... I must be :crazy:

I paid for the Guaranteed entry, which I guess a lot will. Mind you, the Etape was £61 - and I won't be doing that next year.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Got my place, sneakily they opened the registration at 8.50am, so I think I got in before anyone else noticed. There was no delay on the website and all sailed through with no problems.

Top Bottom