Winter jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul99

Über Member
Thanks guys,some really good stuff there cheers.

One thing i cant help but notice is how many Winter jackets are in black.I dont know about you guys but i will not be wearing black in Winter,I want to be seen and not be took out by a motorist unable to see me.
In the dark of winter you want reflective rather than hi vis but that's a whole other thread. (use the search function).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
High viz and reflective
In the dark of winter you want reflective rather than hi vis but that's a whole other thread. (use the search function).
It's after dark when most motorists turn their lights on, when by rights they should have them on during the day if visibility is impaired. If they haven't got their lights on then they wont see the reflective bits so high viz is important at all times i reckon.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran

One thing i cant help but notice is how many Winter jackets are in black.I dont know about you guys but i will not be wearing black in Winter,I want to be seen and not be took out by a motorist unable to see me.
This puzzles me too, I'm reluctant to buy black, I prefer a brighter colour and will go for red if possible. The only clothing I have that is hi-viz is my rain jacket which also has reflectives on it.

OP
OP
davdandy

davdandy

Just been reading on the Varium,it says it is not fleeced but is more for rainy days rather than the Winter blues,is that the case?

winstanleys is close enough for you to go and try them on aswell:thumbsup:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

Because Hi-viz colours (the standard yellow and orange) reflect in natural light on a wavelength the human eye can see and thus appear bright.

This natural light doesn't really exist at night(being that it's dark at night) hence any base fluorescent colour isn't going to be as easily seen.

What can be seen though is reflectives so at night the base colour is largely a personal choice. I wear black primarily :smile:

HiViz.JPG
images.jpg

Last edited:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
That looks quite good at the price. Their website says it'll "light you up like a christmas tree" - but doesn't show any photos. Bit odd that, I think.

I bought the ubiquitous yellow Altura night vision a couple of years ago. It definitely gets me noticed and they do light you up in car headlights. I'd noticed so many of them whilst driving it seemed a no brainer for winter.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Altura night vision evo is waterproof* and is the most breathable jacket I've tried. They've got a new range this year, don't know if the breathability is as good or better. (Definitely a winter jacket. I find it too warm this time of year.)

*IME anything waterproof and breathable eventually stops being waterproof and requires reproofing. This will in turn eventually stop working. YMMV.

Top Bottom