Women's Pro Cycling (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if anyone else follows the women's pro scene but I thought it was worth starting a thread for discussion of their races just in case. This is my first year watching women's racing, thanks to a GCN+ subscription and the joys of Instagram but I'm really enjoying it so far. A couple of pro teams got together to make a 20 minute film about their preparation for Sunday's Liege-Bastogne-Liege and I thought it was a really engaging way to help spectators get to know (and thus support) their riders.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOKU18qVIc

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Both LBL races are discussed in https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lbl-spoilers.274529/

Why should women's racing be confined to a ghetto thread?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Both LBL races are discussed in https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lbl-spoilers.274529/

Why should women's racing be confined to a ghetto thread?

I saw and contributed to that discussion...but I think it's fair to say that women's racing gets a little lost in the more popular men's racing, which is why I thought I'd elevate it in a thread here so that wouldn't happen.

I don't think this is a 'ghetto' - more a brightly painted house in a terrace so it stands out a little.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I saw and contributed to that discussion...but I think it's fair to say that women's racing gets a little lost in the more popular men's racing, which is why I thought I'd elevate it in a thread here so that wouldn't happen.

I don't think this is a 'ghetto' - more a brightly painted house in a terrace so it stands out a little.
Aim higher, Cathryn...

...modern semi with a shared drive?

I think my problem - and possibly other people's problem - is that sport become like Corrie
You know the people and the names and their styles and their characters

so I follow F1 - I know how Lewis drives, and Bottas and Max - and the rest and I follow their stories through the year

I also follow cycling - the men because that is what I saw on the telly
so I knew Indurain and Delgardo
now I am getting to know the Yates brothers and I know Froome and G and Yea Gods Allaphillipe and Pogachar and amazing -(sorry about spelling)
and Cav has sprung up at speed again - but is he able to challenge Sam???

but the Women????
only just starting to see them so the soap has not built up the weight yet
but I am starting to see the names and see how they race

This is why female sports need some coverage even without the audience so far - as people watch the men's stuff - some will start to watch the women as well - and as they watch the weight of the event as a soap builds up
then it becomes standard sport
after a while
but it needs the assistance for a few years

and - when you watch it - the tactics are slightly different - the people are different - they race slightly differently - which makes it interesting
and the more people watch it - the more sponsors will appear
and it will snowball

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think my problem - and possibly other people's problem - is that sport become like Corrie
You know the people and the names and their styles and their characters

so I follow F1 - I know how Lewis drives, and Bottas and Max - and the rest and I follow their stories through the year

I also follow cycling - the men because that is what I saw on the telly
so I knew Indurain and Delgardo
now I am getting to know the Yates brothers and I know Froome and G and Yea Gods Allaphillipe and Pogachar and amazing -(sorry about spelling)
and Cav has sprung up at speed again - but is he able to challenge Sam???

but the Women????
only just starting to see them so the soap has not built up the weight yet
but I am starting to see the names and see how they race

This is why female sports need some coverage even without the audience so far - as people watch the men's stuff - some will start to watch the women as well - and as they watch the weight of the event as a soap builds up
then it becomes standard sport
after a while
but it needs the assistance for a few years

and - when you watch it - the tactics are slightly different - the people are different - they race slightly differently - which makes it interesting
and the more people watch it - the more sponsors will appear
and it will snowball

Exactly!

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Festival Elsy Jacobs kicks off today.

All stages are being streamed on the race website:

https://www.elsy-jacobs.lu/

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I'd not heard of Elsy Jacobs...thank.

She was an early Rapha-adopter...