Women's Pro Cycling (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
If you have not watched this before it is well worth 27 minutes of your time.

I suspect that Cecilie is, in fact, Matt Stephens' long lost daughter.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5WZopdBXGo

I watched this. I love the girl, she's so lovely. She reminds me of me in my 20s but infinitely cooler/faster etc.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
If you have not watched this before it is well worth 27 minutes of your time.

I suspect that Cecilie is, in fact, Matt Stephens' long lost daughter.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5WZopdBXGo

Before I watched this, I had decided that if I could go on a ride with just one professional cyclist, Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig would probably be my first choice.

After watching this, I'm upgrading 'probably' to 'definitely'.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been following this but with the Tour being on as well my attention span is very limited.

For anyone who hasn't been following, so far it's been TTT to get things rolling, van der Breggen takes a stranglehold, Vos goes into a break with predictable results, ITT - van der Breggen turns the screw.

This is a problem in current women's racing. The top names (AVdB, AvV, Vos) are just too strong when compared with the average so they can really tear up a race and utterly dominate, especially in mountainous terrain. (er ... maybe not just for women's racing ;) ) Like AvV did in this race on the Zoncolan a couple of years back. I think (but I could be wrong) this may partly be because your average Jo domestique doesn't get exposed to big mountain passes much in the usual calendar.

Adam4868

Guru
I've been following this but with the Tour being on as well my attention span is very limited.

For anyone who hasn't been following, so far it's been TTT to get things rolling, van der Breggen takes a stranglehold, Vos goes into a break with predictable results, ITT - van der Breggen turns the screw.

This is a problem in current women's racing. The top names (AVdB, AvV, Vos) are just too strong when compared with the average so they can really tear up a race and utterly dominate, especially in mountainous terrain. (er ... maybe not just for women's racing ;) ) Like AvV did in this race on the Zoncolan a couple of years back. I think (but I could be wrong) this may partly be because your average Jo domestique doesn't get exposed to big mountain passes much in the usual calendar.
Maybe leave the TT a few days in then 🙄

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And, after a succession of podiums, Vos finally gets her 30th!

This guy is impressed! So we should be too
1625769617818.png

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Eventually won by some distance by van der Breggan who picked up both pink and ciclamino jerseys.

Kudos to GCN/Eurosport for good reporting on the event and presenting what TV coverage was available and highlights. Obviously the BBC totally ignored it. It was a bit of a shame that it was so overshadowed by the TdF. I think that comes down to Covid/Olympics fixture congestion.

The event was downgraded from WWT because the previous organizers didn't manage the minimum amount of live coverage required. The new organizers seem to have similarly failed, so will be interesting to see if the UCI will upgrade it as they intended.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I’ve enjoyed following the women’s Tour of Norway this week although only got to watch the action when we got home this evening! I’m particularly pleased for the American rider Kristin Faulkner who I’ve been following this year - she got her first big win on day one and finished third overall! Her grin on the final podium was the size of Alaska!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It also raises the question that we were pondering on the Tour thread: What is the point of cutoff times? How do they make the race better or fairer?
a) It stops the race getting too spead out, so the roads can be reopened for joe public.
b) It allows the organisers to declare the results not too long after the finish, start packing up ready for the next stage etc.
c) It means that everyone has to race every stage, so that the riders can't target a stage, and effectively take the previous couple of days off to rest up for it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
a) It stops the race getting too spead out, so the roads can be reopened for joe public.
b) It allows the organisers to declare the results not too long after the finish, start packing up ready for the next stage etc.
c) It means that everyone has to race every stage, so that the riders can't target a stage, and effectively take the previous couple of days off to rest up for it.
I think c is the main thing. Most of the time it does a good job and only a few riders are timed out and these are riders who have had some kind of crisis and have struggled. Just occasionally it doesn't work - but you can't legislate for every eventuality.

Top Bottom