World record attempt, almost there...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greenbank

Über Member
Still not a patch on Tommy Godwin:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Godwin_(cyclist_born_1912)

"
On 26 October 1939 Godwin rode into Trafalgar Square having completed 62,658 mi (100,838 km), gaining the record with two months to spare. He rode through the winter to complete 75,065 mi (120,805 km) in the year. In May 1940 after 500 days' riding he secured the 100,000-mile (160,000 km) record as well. Godwin dismounted and spent weeks learning how to walk before going to war in the RAF.
"

200 miles a day, maybe not on tough outback roads but it was done in 1939 with 1939 bike technology and 1939's roads.

Congratulations to Julian, it's still a fantastic achievement.

jitensha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitensha
Hi Garz,

Actually 14,611km for around Oz is exactly right. I've driven most of it. Cycling it would not be easy!

"Graz said:
Yes but not 14.[/B"]611 as to me that just over fourteen kilometers right? :biggrin:

:biggrin:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Well, if he has finished it was without fanfare.

There are no pictures on his site, and his tweet just states some random song lyric, but the bike logo has been back at the start in Rouen about a day now???

jitensha

My French is more than very limited, but here is a translation (using babblefish) of link provided by Munrobagger:

It had left Rouen on June 10 last to carry out a round the world tour with bicycle. Julian Sayarer made a success of its challenge. This English, insane of cycling, arrived this Friday evening at the foot of the cathedral. He carried out more than 29.000 kilometers in 174 days. Its family and her friends were present for l' to accomodate in large pump.

So it's 174 days?!

I'll be surprised if this is the new record. Time will tell. Regardless, fair play to him for having a go.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Jitensha,

I'd already read some time ago about Erik Straarup's ride from Nordkapp to Gibraltar & was VERY impressed, though I wasn't aware of the other rides, I'll enjoy reading them, thanks.

I agree that it is some amazing distance cycling, but I'm not so sure it's a good comparison to the three RTW attempts.

I don't want to get into the GWR rules, that wasn't my point in my other post, I was trying to point out the physical/mental strength needed to undertake what they have done, world record aside. (& yes, if someone were to do it supported, no doubt they could do it quicker).

All three of the RTW attempts had to contend at times with very poor road surfaces, mechanical breakdowns, many different foreign languages, navigating, & at times with totally unrecognizable road signs, difficulties finding adequate sleeping arrangements causing sleep deprivation, poor diet (possibly the biggest problem?) often not being able to get sufficient calories, all became ill at one point or another in varying degrees (but kept cycling!), border hold ups, dealing with violence, trying to keep to flight deadlines,......& much, much more.

Not to mention the massive emotional highs & lows that will happen on such a ride.
What must it be like to tell the world "I'm going to cycle RTW in record time" & have that in your head for 5-6 months solid? Very different to a personal unannounced challenge/holiday.

As far as "there are a significant number of people who could do it", like many things in life it's ONLY the "doers" that count. Could've, would've, should've, all very easy to say.

amaferanga

Veteran
stewie griffin said:
[snip]....As far as "there are a significant number of people who could do it", like many things in life it's ONLY the "doers" that count. Could've, would've, should've, all very easy to say.

True, but as impressive as it is averaging around 100 miles a day for ~174 days, when you compare to what others have done it seems much less so.

For example, as a fairly ordinary cyclist who has done some interesting tours and the odd long distance challenge, I look at what Nick Sanders did and I know I probably couldn't do that, ever (and I've previously ridden 400km per day for 3 days and 300km per day for 5 days). I look at what the current batch of RTW record setters are doing and I think I could probably better that, as could MANY other people.

Munrobagger

thisisnotforcharity

Julian Sayarer has just put another tweet saying he'll update his blog tomorrow. Sounds a bit despondent, calling himself a 'hapless soldier'. I suppose that's the problem with records as opposed to just travelling at your own pace. The pressure must be intense. I hope he's OK.

Joe

Über Member

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Err....I am now a little confused.

James Bowthorpe set off on Sunday 29/03/09 and got back on the 175th day Saturday 19/09/09.

Julian Sayarer set off on 10/06/09 and got back Friday 04/12/09, err.....that's 178 days?

Does he definitely have the record. What a shame. I stand by my original appraisal of him, which I won't repeat. I can respect his achievement but that's about it.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Crackle said:
Does he definitely have the record. What a shame. I stand by my original appraisal of him, which I won't repeat. I can respect his achievement but that's about it.

Pretty much his thoughts on Beaumont. :biggrin:

By my calculations, and understanding of it, he hasn't got the record.

James Bowthorpe has been credited with 176 days, which is the total number of days he was away, including flights and rest/sick days - ie with nothing taken off.

By the same reckoning, Sayarer was away 178 days in total, including flights and rest days, so I can't see how he can have got it?

His blog starts with 'Yes I do have the record'. I need to read it somewhere else because it's not clear to me either.

Top Bottom