World record attempt, almost there...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jitensha

ComedyPilot said:
Err....I am now a little confused.

James Bowthorpe set off on Sunday 29/03/09 and got back on the 175th day Saturday 19/09/09.

Julian Sayarer set off on 10/06/09 and got back Friday 04/12/09, err.....that's 178 days?

On page 2 of this thread I wrote the following:

Jitenmsha said:
I think Julian Emre Sayarer is going to run into two problems with this attempt:

1. His route covers the same latitude in central China and SE Asia. Therefore he hasn't travelled in one direction continuously.
2. June 10th (his start date) until December 4th (his probable finish date) is 178 days.

The GWR rules are somewhat unclear in that they state that time not ridden/cycled should be deducted from the overall time taken for the cycle. HOWEVER in the case of both Mark Beaumont and James Bowthorpe this did not apply.

Beaumont: August 5th 2007 - February 15th 2008 = 195 days
Bowthorpe: March 29th - September 19th 2009 = 175 days

I'll be very surprised if GWR sign off on this. All the best to him though. It's certainly impressive regardless and is beyond the ability of most people

I've posted a couple of comments on Sayarer's blog re this. He didn't address these issues in his latest blog, which incidentally is in my opinion more hateful and less insightful than his previous ones. The guy is a good writer, but he is just so angry. A shame. Isn't there an old Athenian (or is it Roman) Proverb: If you want to destroy the Gods, first make them angry"

Anyway, back to the point. Sayarer's figures just don't add up and he has been unwilling so far to address honest questions posed directly to him through his website. Maybe he will address these questions over the coming days, but in any case it will be GWR who will have the final say. My money is that Sayarer has not broken the record.

Finally, I have to state again that while the record (whatever it is - 195 days or 175 days) is admirable, and well done to anybody who cycles around the world irrespective of how quickly or slowly they do it, these record attempts are second rate compared to the likes of Erik Straarup or Nick Sanders.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i have scoured the net to find anyone except himself and bikefix, who claim to be sponsoring him (thru the velovision website), to state he broke the record. is he allowed to say he broke the record without it being ratified?

why is he so anti beaumont? is he jealous that he got the money train sorted?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
What an unpleasant ending. Hate and vitriol for the bloke who he has never met and who must have been his inspiration before and during the attempt.
I hope he lets me know when he's planning on bringing down capitalism and how he's planning to live on fresh air and dreams. He even admits during his bile-filled rant that he's a hypocrite as if admitting it makes it all right. Nob, IMHO.

Joe

Über Member
I don't know, I quite like this level of dedication...
What I want to say concerns Mark Beaumont, and completing that all-but meaningless record was motivated, more than anything, by earning my license, having done exactly as he did, to say exactly what I thought of him.
:biggrin:

Blimey! I never realised Mark Beaumont was personally responsible for the arms trade, globalisation and all the other ill's of the world. I expect he's holed up in a secret base (probably inside a volcano) with his illuminati mates planning world domination right now!

If it wasn't for Julian, I for one would have gone on thinking Mark Beaumont was just an ordinary bloke (extraordinary cyclist) who did a couple of adverts to pay for his next cycling trip.

This bit about the time clock stopping during plane/boat transfers; what's to stop you getting a ship every time and having a nice long rest? 'yes I know I've been away two years but my 'cycling' time was 150 days so that makes me the record holder'???

Bodhbh

Guru
It is a bit sad. He himself has been fortunate enough to have the trip of a lifetime, one many of us can only dream about and when it's done all he can do is carp on about Mark Beaumont.

amaferanga

Veteran
I think I understand his frustration. He's spent 6 months trying to break the record, may or may not have actually succeeded, but regardless no-one (bar a few on internet cycling forums and probably the local paper) is really that interested. Contrast with Beaumont who has made a name for himself by doing exactly the same (impressive but hardly-extraordinary) thing. He's probably thinking he should just have gone on a very long tour somewhere interesting and taken the time to enjoy the experience and meet people instead of blasting through countries and not being able to take the time to talk to the interesting people and see the interesting places he passed every day.

Its not as if Beaumont isn't a whinger anyway....

Bodhbh

Guru
amaferanga said:
I think I understand his frustration. He's spent 6 months trying to break the record, may or may not have actually succeeded, but regardless no-one (bar a few on internet cycling forums and probably the local paper) is really that interested. Contrast with Beaumont who has made a name for himself by doing exactly the same (impressive but hardly-extraordinary) thing. He's probably thinking he should just have gone on a very long tour somewhere interesting and taken the time to enjoy the experience and meet people instead of blasting through countries and not being able to take the time to talk to the interesting people and see the interesting places he passed every day.
Well that's a good point. His head is probably a little frazzled atm also.

Joe

Über Member
I understand it too. I was actually quite inspired by Beaumont's ride/documentary but it was in spite of him really as I found his personality pretty grating and I'm amazed he's having media success. I also read his book though!
I would love to have seen video footage of Bowthorpe or Julian's rides...any chance of them writing books do you think?

Anyway, next!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...t-s-got-the-world-at-his-feet-72703-25326386/

With support van though, surely that should be a seperate record?

amaferanga

Veteran
Joe said:
I understand it too. I was actually quite inspired by Beaumont's ride/documentary but it was in spite of him really as I found his personality pretty grating and I'm amazed he's having media success. I also read his book though!
I would love to have seen video footage of Bowthorpe or Julian's rides...any chance of them writing books do you think?

Anyway, next!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...t-s-got-the-world-at-his-feet-72703-25326386/

With support van though, surely that should be a seperate record?

I especially like this:

“I need to raise about £45,000 to fund the world record attempt,” he explained.

“I am looking for anyone who can come forward to sponsor me, help me with training or donate equipment to get in touch.”

If you think you can help David achieve his dream, call him on 01207 280 974 or e-mail him on david.c1045@durhamlea.org.uk.

So the little scrote wants sponsorship to pay for his gap year! How the hell is it costing £45,000 anyway?

Tony

I've said this before, but I met Beaumont in the middle of his attempt while we were both riding in Western Australia. I found him to be a good bloke, and comparingmy little ride with his larger one brought no sneering, no willy-waving, either in his words or in his book. This chap seems a little less likeable...

dpiper

Just clarify - he does NOT have the record yet. He has not (as of today) submitted his evidence to GWR. His transit days and several high speed / high mileage days will be subject to much scrutinising.

His rants don’t make him too many friends but that shouldn’t take away from the physical achievement even if he comes in second place. Hopefully his ride won’t discredit the record in anyway.

Other readers may be interested in Vin Cox's www.greatbikeride.com principally because this is the first time a cyclist with a pro / racing pedigree has taken on the challenge. I’m sure Mr Sayarer will be mortified to hear that Vin is doing it for charity and is accepting as much corporate sponsorship as possible

Top Bottom