You Lucky Glaswegians, you....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
There are lots of good pubs in Glasgow. Occasionally after work on Friday, we have a quick pint in the Drum and Monkey (junc St Vincent/Renfield st). You might also like Sloanes just off Buchanan St (near the foot of the pedestrian area and across from Frasers Dept Store). Or Vronis - more of an old fashioned wine bar on W Nile St just up from the junc with St Vincent.

I have yet to find a traditional good curry house that I really like and find that I will tend to go to Italian in Glasgow over Indian. But, I have liked Dhabba on Candleriggs - more of a modern stylish Indian than a traditional one.

Greedo

User1314 said:
Munchybox

:biggrin:

I'm going to live on Big Breakfasts, couple of curries and maybe a black-pudding with chips and brown sauce if I can find a decent shop.

Where are you staying?

I know loads of decent pubs and Indians and will direct you in the right direction. You won't be diappointed

Greedo

User1314 said:
I'm staying in a hotel near the SECC for a conference (to boring to discuss) but will plan to go into Glasgow "proper" in the evenings.

Not looking for anything flash. We're quite simple in our tastes. Just decentish pubs with decentish beer kind of stuff. Not into nightclubs.

Cheers in advance!

take it you're staying in the Crowne plaza, Campanile or City Inn.

I'd therefore take one night up the West end in a taxi. About a fiver probably.

Pubs up the West End I'd recommend are The Lismore down the bottom of Byres Road and for an Indian it has to be Balbirs (they do a thing in there where you can ask them to bring stuff not on the menu. It's fantastic. You don't know what your getting next but it's all really good.

Further up I'd head to Ashton Lane. The pubs here are Jinty McGintys,
The Ubiquitous Chip and Brel that are worth going to. In the lane you also have the Ashoka or The Wee Curry Shop for top grub. When you're up the West End I'd also go to Oran Mor for a beer. Old church and it's worth seeing inside anyone will point you in the right direction.

If you're heading into the city centre I'd go to the Drum and Monkey, The Horseshoe, The Lab and The Beir Halle (300 odd beers in here) and Sloans.

Food wise the city centre doesn't have too many Indians, so jump in a taxi and ask him to take you to The Kama Sutra or The Koor -I-Noor. About a fiver.

Guarantee you won't have a bad meal in any of the above. How busy the pubs are will be hit or miss apart from Thursday when they'll all be busy.

Drop me a PM if you want anymore info.

Maz

Guru
User1314 said:
I'll have to try Balbirs. My Mum's first name is Balbir. So I imagine it'll be just like home cooking!
But don't expect it to curry any favour when you pay for it.

Maz

Guru
User1314 said:
But if there is I'll Fight for my Right to Chupatti.
Nice one!

claire01

I agree with greedo...definitely go to west end for drinks...the Lismore to drink with glasgow characters and to ashton lane for decent beer,great surroundings and wonderful chat with interesting people! There's a million cuury places in glasgow...but why not try wonderful scottish restaurants for a change..The Bothy,Blas,The Sisters',Ubiqutous Chip to name a few? The food's amazing in them all.(all in west end). Whatever you do hope you have a brilliant time! :smile:

Greedo

Cool. Sounds like you did a bit more than the usual conference crowd.

Arrive, check-in, Conference venue, hotel, nearest pub and rest then home.

It's not a bad old place Glasgow. Been worse.

Top Bottom