Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
A lot of migrants arriving locally today, along with the warm air. Cornell's Merlin Bird ID app is picking up all sorts of stuff either staying or just passing through.

This turtle dove appeared today - hopefully a mate to make it here as well soon.

td.jpg

Gillstay

Über Member
Common sandpiper, Co Mayo.

P1030950.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I went back to Emsworthy Mire this morning.
First bird I saw was a female wheatear collecting nesting material, then a male Wheatear. Next was a pair of pied wagtail.

All the while cuckoo’s were calling, one flew high over the reserve.

I had a sit in a couple of places but to no avail…. And then one flew in for 10 minutes, went away and then came back.

_DSC8187.jpeg

_DSC8247.jpeg

_DSC8263.jpeg

_DSC8606.jpeg

_DSC8700.jpeg

_DSC8716.jpeg

_DSC8763.jpeg

Gillstay

Über Member
Amble with the hound in Shute woods this afternoon. The alpacas were in an adjacent field. Daft looking things.

Anyone able to identify the tree from the bark? I’m thinking young (!) cypress/sequoia/redwood? Seems to be plenty of them about.

View attachment 729486

View attachment 729483

View attachment 729484

View attachment 729485

Douglas fir. Gets to be really interesting on older trees.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
(European) Goldfinch teasing wool this morning. Having gathered a fairly large bunch, (s)he decided it was too much of a burden to carry away, and left it on top of the pergola. I don't know which breed of sheep the wool is from, but it has a very long staple(? subs please check), possibly Lincolnshire longwool, so I'd already cut it into shorter lengths, but apparently it's still causing problems.
Photos through a window which would benefit from cleaning, as the camera tried to focus on the dirt instead of the bird beyond!
P1010238.JPG

P1010239.JPG

P1010240.JPG

Proto

Legendary Member
Our bit of 'lawn' in front of the house is peppered with ants nests, mostly red meadow ants. First mow of the year and I carelessly removed the top of one yesterday and disturbed a nest of ants, black, small, no idea what type. The reaction from the ants was incredible. Frenzy of activity, hundreds of ants running to and fro, pulling and pushing the dozens of exposed eggs, trying to get them back underground. How they communicate I can't imagine but they all looked like they knew what to do. Within minutes they'd mostly moved the eggs and within half an hour, apart from the exposed soil, you wouldn't have known they's been there. Nature truly is remarkable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom