Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
I had a lovely female red deer running ahead of me on the cycle path this morning at 5am.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Not a single solitary house martin :sad:

I've just done the initial survey of my allocated 1km square for the BTO House Martin survey. The idea is to map and record details of all nesting colonies in the square.

As my square has a lot of housing developments there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing up and down streets. So I took the Brompton. It doesn't have a computer so I've just mapped my route since I got back - more than 14 miles!

And no house martins...

gbb

Legendary Member
A busy day. Work this morning so a drive into the fens...most of the following seen alongside the Forty Foot or in adjacent fields...
Two hares.
Tern.
Cormorant swimming in that typical head and beak slightly raised pose.
Mallard.
Little Grebe.
Pied Wagtail.
GC Grebe.
Plenty of corvids, Jackdaw, Rooks, Crows.
Swans.
On the way home ..two Bar Headed Geese. Only the second time ive ever seen them. Pretty sure although it was only a few second look as i passed, mod grey with quite distinctive bars on the upper neck or head. Stood in a field, stood out like beacons.
Tufted duck.
Kestrel.
Robin, Dunnock, etc

Home...a ride to a farm nearby...
Sparrowhawk.
Red Kite.
Heard a Green Woodpecker yaffling away.

Plus, remarkably...
Harris Hawk.
Eagle.
Eagle Owl...I think.
Pereguine Falcon...I think.

Honest....well, it may have been a display at the farm shop.

Hyslop

Veteran
Not a single solitary house martin :sad:

I've just done the initial survey of my allocated 1km square for the BTO House Martin survey. The idea is to map and record details of all nesting colonies in the square.

As my square has a lot of housing developments there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing up and down streets. So I took the Brompton. It doesn't have a computer so I've just mapped my route since I got back - more than 14 miles!

And no house martins...
Oddly enough,it struck me today that it is some time since Ive seen a Buzzard.They are fairly common around here,the area providing ideal habitat.Until recently,I would see at least six,sometimes more,both adult and juvenile.In the last month,only 1 adult,perching,and not in a usual location either.Cant say that I noticed a similar abscence last year.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Oddly enough,it struck me today that it is some time since Ive seen a Buzzard.They are fairly common around here,the area providing ideal habitat.Until recently,I would see at least six,sometimes more,both adult and juvenile.In the last month,only 1 adult,perching,and not in a usual location either.Cant say that I noticed a similar abscence last year.

That's worrying :sad:

I've rarely seen house martins in the area I surveyed so I wasn't very hopeful - despite all the houses.

Hyslop

Veteran
That's worrying :sad:

I've rarely seen house martins in the area I surveyed so I wasn't very hopeful - despite all the houses.
Odd,isnt it?I did wonder if it was in any way related to a lack of prey and that they had perhaps moved to another territory.The Solway and the Northern Fells must surely provide sufficient prey for quite a sizeable population,even in the breeding season.However,given that they are a fairly common bird around here,have their numbers become large enough that some have in fact moved elsewhere simply to ensure plenty in the breeding season?Certainly one to keep an eye on.(bad pun ,sorry, not intended!).Best of luck in your efforts though:okay:

Alex H

Legendary Member
r.jpg

It had turned round by the time I got my camera ^_^.

Appeared to be a baby out on his own - wonder if he escaped from our neighbours cages?

gbb

Legendary Member
Out for a leisurely ride on the hybrid with the wife, sat for a quick break at Crown Lakes, Farcet near Peterborough. Old brickpits, hundreds of acres of brownfield land...anyway, sat at the waters edge and watched a bird fly across the lake toward the trees....eh, hawk like, long tail, slightly scythe shaped wings....'I think thats a cuckoo' I said to the wife.
Maybe 10 seconds later, from the direction it went....'cuck oo, cuck oo'

To hear them is no big deal...I watched one, my first actual sighting, a few years ago in similar surroundings, he/she was sat in a tree. Its rare you'll actually see one, they blend in very well. First time ive positively seen one in flight.

Out for a leisurely ride on the hybrid with the wife, sat for a quick break at Crown Lakes, Farcet near Peterborough. Old brickpits, hundreds of acres of brownfield land...anyway, sat at the waters edge and watched a bird fly across the lake toward the trees....eh, hawk like, long tail, slightly scythe shaped wings....'I think thats a cuckoo' I said to the wife.
Maybe 10 seconds later, from the direction it went....'cuck oo, cuck oo'

To hear them is no big deal...I watched one, my first actual sighting, a few years ago in similar surroundings, he/she was sat in a tree. Its rare you'll actually see one, they blend in very well. First time ive positively seen one in flight.
I can well remember seeing my first cuckoo close up whilst we were cycling through Sweden. We had stopped for lunch and as often were as quite as mice. We had heard the cuckoo calling and slowly it has got closer and closer until it made it to the clearing we were in. There in a tree not more than 10m away from me was the cuckoo. It had chosen the tree the bikes were propped against and being a lunch in a clearing with no view I didn't have the camera accessible! Neither of them. It day and called from that tree for the best part of 5 minutes neither of us eating our lunch, simply not moving. It was magical. I'll never forget how lucky we were!

gbb

Legendary Member
I can well remember seeing my first cuckoo close up whilst we were cycling through Sweden. We had stopped for lunch and as often were as quite as mice. We had heard the cuckoo calling and slowly it has got closer and closer until it made it to the clearing we were in. There in a tree not more than 10m away from me was the cuckoo. It had chosen the tree the bikes were propped against and being a lunch in a clearing with no view I didn't have the camera accessible! Neither of them. It day and called from that tree for the best part of 5 minutes neither of us eating our lunch, simply not moving. It was magical. I'll never forget how lucky we were!
Mine was a local country park, lots of water and more importantly reeds, trees etc. We (son and myself) were sitting in one of the two hides overlooking a man made scrape looking for waders particually. We could hear him/her in the trees opposite, maybe 200ft away, cuck oo'ing away but couldn't see him among the foliage. Scanned and scanned with a scope...there he was, on a branch, heavy with leaves. We must have watched him for 10 minutes, shame he wasn't closer.

The camera is something that catches us all out once in a while. Son (at the time about 12 maybe) were in the hides at Rutland water, scanning the lakes edge for anything. We were obviously so quiet....a Water Rail just skulked out from beside the hide, no more than 10ft away. They're not rare, but very secretive and only ever spotted one other. We pointed silently but excitedly, watched intently as he mooched around, then he disappeared into the long grass....

Then I looked at my camera.....DOH !!!! :wacko::banghead:

Top Bottom