Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Please pardon my pedantry. A phase in this context isn't something they enter ( as in "She's going through a phase" ). You can see pale-phase Buzzards, dark-phase, and loads of in between birds - they're notoriously variable, but tend to stay their particular depth of colour. Due to the confusion, there's a trend to use "morph" instead of "phase", but this can lead observers to expect some sort of plasticine figure, apparently. See Wikipedia on polymorphism for a more articulate and detailed explanation.
I blame the Victorians.
Given that they are rumoured to have put crinolines or whatever on naked table legs [more fun googlage here] as a disincentive to perverse polymorphism, it's hard not to blame them for many of the world's ills.

oooh.gif

[QUOTE 3752076, member: 9609"]baby woodpecker
woodpeckerandyoung_8595_zpsotresbee.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I nearly had one in the house on Thursday. My fault really because we have a bord feeder on the window (sunflower seeds) and other fat feeder hanging in front of the window and it was that warm on Thursday that I opened the (old stable) door and window completely leaving the fat feeder hanging in free space so to speak and the bird feeder technically on the wrong side of the window and one of the juveniles has taken to landing on the stable door (when I have the window open) prior to going anywhere else. Well with the top of the door frame missing, he came into the room I was in, did a circuit and exited thankfully via the same entrance he had come in by. The baby blue tits are doing the same as well. It does make the day more interesting!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I saw 3 little egrets in the creek a couple of days ago but didn't have a camera with me. But as I wanted to take a picture of a signpost to ''here'' on the meridian, I had my camera. Only one this time and a fair way off.
Egret.jpg

(The coloured water in the foreground is the reflection of the Laban building behind. Oh, and here's here....)
IMG_1607.JPG

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A black Kite..similar to our Red..

View attachment 92856
Where was that? I was temporarily convinced I'd seen one in Lincolnshire yesterday morning. We were staying the weekend at my brother's house in Woodhall Spa. Mrs Poacher spotted a large raptor as it drifted over the surrounding pines, being mobbed by a crow, and called "Kite". I immediately ruled out Red Kite: it lacked the prominent pale patches at the "hand" of the wing and the tail wasn't the deeply-forked translucent orangey red that characterised every Red Kite I've ever seen (hundreds of them, both in the UK and on the continent). To me, the tail looked more square than even slightly forked, although Mrs P disagrees. I've seen scores of Black Kites in France and Spain, and couldn't definitely rule it out, but on the balance of probabilities and after a period of mainly sober reflection, I've concluded it was most likely a juvenile or female Marsh Harrier; I've seen these in that area on several occasions. I'm more than prepared to revise that opinion if a Black Kite is known to be in the general area! The bird was only in view for 5 or 6 seconds before more of those pesky pine trees hid it from sight, so I couldn't make a certain identification, and I'm not going to report it to the Lincs bird club on that basis.

OT: if any competitor or visitor to Thursday's national TT championship is under the impression that Lincolnshire's flat, they'll have a surprise when they encounter the hill out of Ruckland (TF332780). Slightly back on topic, Ruckland was graced by the presence of a juvenile White-tailed Eagle back in 2011 for a couple of weeks, as it thinned out the local Canada goslings.

Top Bottom