Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
On my ride this afternoon, I saw a grey fox about 500-600 feet away.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Corn's up to about 3 feet here in the Midwest, I might add, @vernon . I'm stopping at every road junction by this point, as I can't see cars, and they can't see me. But, on the plus side, wildlife sightings are up.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
A bit of a first. Cruising along on today's ride when I see something struggling across the road in front of me. It was a mole! The poor critter didn't look happy at all on the hot tarmac and couldn't make up it's mind which way to go. I have had a bit of a soft spot for moles ever since I read the Duncton Wood series of books, so, I took my gloves off and used them to sort of grab the little gentleman in a velvet coat.

He wasn't happy. I could feel his claws raking the gloves and when I went to put him on the ground he was hanging by his teeth! He wasn't going to go with out a fight! Once on the ground he very quickly was under it!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I keep herring this bird each evening who seems to repeatedly say "why" any idea what it is..... Managed to get a photo yesterday though against the light
image.jpg

Well I think it's the one repeatedly saying why! Or is it just a sparrow?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
This morning a pheasant idling it's way across one of the roads on my commute. Trying to look nonchalent until it realised I wasn't going to change from my side of the road, then a hasty take off and clumsy landing in an adjoining cereal crop. :rolleyes:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I keep herring this bird each evening who seems to repeatedly say "why" any idea what it is..... Managed to get a photo yesterday though against the light View attachment 94232
Well I think it's the one repeatedly saying why! Or is it just a sparrow?
Wrong bill for a sparrow @summerdays. Try for a better pic if you can. I don't normally identify birds by looking up their *rse :laugh:

Maybe a Dunnock????? But they don't say "why" to me

General colouration, leg colour, beak colour and shape, and streaking on flanks make it a Dunnock for me, but as @twentysix by twentyfive says, the call doesn't sound right. To my ear, ones that say "why", or more like a "huitt" with a rising note at the end, include Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler - but it doesn't look like either of these.
Good job too, 'cos they're quite tricky to tell apart either by appearance or call. There's a useful website called xeno-canto for bird sound recordings; look at call for:
Dunnock, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. Try playing several of each of these, preferably ones recorded in the UK, and see if one hits the mark.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Yes,herons are quite erudite here,but I've heard it said they are terrible tippers. No one really wants a frog as a gratuity.
Funny you should mention frogs.... I bought a new pond pump at the weekend and cleared some of the accumulated debris from my neglected little watercourse:
DSCN0404.JPG

The debris was left to drain overnight in the riddle you can just see in the lower left-hand corner. Of course, our ever-helpful Blackbird emptied much of it straight back into the small holding pond, so I had to scoop it out again (by hand). I don't know who was more surprised, me or the frog, when I scooped him out as well. I certainly jumped as far as he did!
DSCN0403.JPG

Top Bottom