£10,400,000 per year. That's not bad, is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Can you do it?
Nope. But I do prevent people dying every day I am in work.

What's sickening is prem club players earning more a week than the debt of a league 2 club that the feckless owner created by asset stripping it .
Paying it forward is a phrase I am thinking about .

Do you say that about chief execs of companies?

Its not supply and demand it is obscene Sky/BT Sport money driving pay to unsustainable levels.

I've long been convinced that footballers pay is quoted per week to disguise the obscene annual total. The punter on the terrace sees the per week total and compare that to his annual.
Nonsense. It is a very pure example of supply and demand. The market Determines the earnings of clubs from attendance, tv rights and merchandising. The bulk of the money is in the premiership and champions league in this country. To get there you need 11 of the top 1000 players in the world. That is classic supply and demand. You may not like it but it is.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's why I don't watch football, the money they earn is obscene for very little skills and knowledge.
No, the reason you don't watch football is because the sport doesn't appeal to you. You no doubt buy records and watch films, I presume? The top performers in those disciplines are not doing it for minimum wage either. And footballers are not on soapboxes telling the rest of us we should pay our taxes while they salt money away on avoidance schemes (Yes Bono, I mean you).

Last edited:
Nope. But I do prevent people dying every day I am in work.

What's sickening is prem club players earning more a week than the debt of a league 2 club that the feckless owner created by asset stripping it .
Paying it forward is a phrase I am thinking about .
Yet in your world there are consultants earning 20 times what nurses do and half the hours. From the same purse. And I bet a premiership footballer put just as much time, maybe even more, to get to their level.

D

Deleted member 26715

Along with excessive turnstile prices and expensive fan merchandise, it comes out of ordinary peoples pockets and is utterly obscene.
^^^^ To me this is the reason it's obscene lower the gate prices, allowing more people to watch I don't like football & have never seen a league match, but have friends & relatives who would love to go watch but can't.

^^^^ To me this is the reason it's obscene lower the gate prices, allowing more people to watch I don't like football & have never seen a league match, but have friends & relatives who would love to go watch but can't.
They build bigger and bigger stadiums and they're full. Market determines the price.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've just been looking at the salaries of Premier League footballers and was shocked to see just how much they are currently earning.

Slap bang in one of the most run-down areas of Great Britain, for instance, in a district of high unemployment and poor housing, a man comes once a fortnight or so and earns £200,000 per week making his salary £10,400,000 per year! That's like winning a roll-over lottery and having a guarantee to do so for the next five years (terms of his contract)!

Now he's the best paid player at the club I've been looking at (the manager earns more) but the lowest-paid player is on £286,000 per year so we shouldn't be having a whip-round for him just yet.

The contrast between the people of the area and the unimaginable wealth the players have is staggering. The cars they drive in most cases cost more than the average home in the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

I'm still trying to rationalise the facts I've just seen and it doesn't sit well with me at all. Of course I know all the arguments for and against but this is just boggling my mind!
You've only just noticed? (Placeholder for raised eyebrow yellow facey thing)*

Your observation goes straight to the heart of the inequalities in the world. People find it normal that some people earn more in a year than most earn in a lifetime, and far more than anyone can spend. A bit of judicious redistribution of a relatively small part of that £10.4m would be enough to lift dozens out of abject poverty.

It is pure supply and demand, but it is also a great illustration of why pure supply and demand creates undesirable outcomes that offend what are probably innate human desires for fairness.

*I am unreasonably delighted that this whole phrase is my phone's first auto-complete suggestion after "placeholder".

Your observation goes straight to the heart of the inequalities in the world. People find it normal that some people earn more in a year than most earn in a lifetime, and far more than anyone can spend. A bit of judicious redistribution of a relatively small part of that £10.4m would be enough to lift dozens out of abject poverty.

It is pure supply and demand, but it is also a great illustration of why pure supply and demand creates undesirable outcomes that offend what are probably innate human desires for fairness.

*I am unreasonably delighted that this whole phrase is my phone's first auto-complete suggestion after "placeholder".
As long as they pay their fair tax I have no issue with it. I also would be for an increase in tax.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Your observation goes straight to the heart of the inequalities in the world. People find it normal that some people earn more in a year than most earn in a lifetime, and far more than anyone can spend.
A minimum wage earner in this country earns more in a year than many people in the rest of the world earn in a lifetime. Proper wealth distribution would mean everyone taking a hit, no more N+1, foreign holidays, expensive TVs etc.

It's all relative.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No, the reason you don't watch football is because the sport doesn't appeal to you. You no doubt buy records and watch films, I presume? The top performers in those disciplines are not doing it for minimum wage either. And footballers are not on soapboxes telling the rest of us we should pay our taxes while they salt money away on avoidance schemes (Yes Bono, I mean you).

It always seems to be footballers doesn't it?. F1, Tennis, Golf, all also paid millions per year but don't seem to get the same ire.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I've just been looking at the salaries of Premier League footballers and was shocked to see just how much they are currently earning.

Slap bang in one of the most run-down areas of Great Britain, for instance, in a district of high unemployment and poor housing, a man comes once a fortnight or so and earns £200,000 per week making his salary £10,400,000 per year! That's like winning a roll-over lottery and having a guarantee to do so for the next five years (terms of his contract)!

Now he's the best paid player at the club I've been looking at (the manager earns more) but the lowest-paid player is on £286,000 per year so we shouldn't be having a whip-round for him just yet.

The contrast between the people of the area and the unimaginable wealth the players have is staggering. The cars they drive in most cases cost more than the average home in the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

I'm still trying to rationalise the facts I've just seen and it doesn't sit well with me at all. Of course I know all the arguments for and against but this is just boggling my mind!

I have the same mind boggling troubles. Why did I bother getting degree educated when others who kick a spherical bag of air around a big lawn in front of a crowd get in half a day what I earn in a year:blush:?

Top Bottom