£10,400,000 per year. That's not bad, is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've just been looking at the salaries of Premier League footballers and was shocked to see just how much they are currently earning.

Slap bang in one of the most run-down areas of Great Britain, for instance, in a district of high unemployment and poor housing, a man comes once a fortnight or so and earns £200,000 per week making his salary £10,400,000 per year! That's like winning a roll-over lottery and having a guarantee to do so for the next five years (terms of his contract)!

Now he's the best paid player at the club I've been looking at (the manager earns more) but the lowest-paid player is on £286,000 per year so we shouldn't be having a whip-round for him just yet.

The contrast between the people of the area and the unimaginable wealth the players have is staggering. The cars they drive in most cases cost more than the average home in the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

I'm still trying to rationalise the facts I've just seen and it doesn't sit well with me at all. Of course I know all the arguments for and against but this is just boggling my mind!

.... a man comes once a fortnight or so

In @Fnaar 's absence, Can I only suggest that he consults Ms Goodbody for advice, I am confident she can improve this....

This ^^

Same as the Hollywood actors or the Biebers and Taylor Swifts earning 10-30-50 million a year. They have a skill and employ the right people to market that skill If I could earn it id snap there hand off.
And if you could hire someone for £10m a year to earn you £15m a year you'd do that too. As long as tax is being paid then it's all fine with me.

I think most of us have the ability to improve our lot, but most myself included lack the determination.
Premiership footballs also have skill. I don't follow football at all. But I do know literally millions of kids play football and such a very small percentage make it to this level. It takes years and years of training and dedication and 99.999% won't make it. Fair play to those that do.

tyred

Legendary Member
There's more to life than money.

I can live comfortably if modestly on what I earn and I at least have the freedom to walk down the street unmolested by idiots and I don't have newspapers trying to find bad things or compromising photos of me to print on the front page.

There's more to life than money.

I can live comfortably if modestly on what I earn and I at least have the freedom to walk down the street unmolested by idiots and I don't have newspapers trying to find bad things or compromising photos of me to print on the front page.
Fair enough. But also fair enough that football players want to live differently. Neither is wrong.

tyred

Legendary Member
Fair enough. But also fair enough that football players want to live differently. Neither is wrong.

Absolutely not and although football isn't my sport I admire anyone with the talent, drive and determination to succeed as I know I don't possess it. I just don't get hung up by the fact that some have more money than me.

Broadside

Guru
Do you say that about chief execs of companies?

Its not supply and demand it is obscene Sky/BT Sport money driving pay to unsustainable levels.

I've long been convinced that footballers pay is quoted per week to disguise the obscene annual total. The punter on the terrace sees the per week total and compare that to his annual.

Along with excessive turnstile prices and expensive fan merchandise, it comes out of ordinary peoples pockets and is utterly obscene.

Top Bottom