£10,400,000 per year. That's not bad, is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
privately-educated white men are innately better than everyone else at running large companies
Are straight men really innately better than everyone else at kicking a ball?

U

User482

Are straight men really innately better than everyone else at kicking a ball?
Are gay men under-represented in professional football?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Good points!

People should be happy that some youngsters from the bottom/near bottom of the stack go on to earn as much/more than the so called 'Elites'.
Well therein lies another problem. The players named in the post you replied to are both English. Because of the money prevalent in the game nowadays though, there are clearly cases of talented English/British players who have to ply their trade in the lower/non leagues because of the massive number of non-British players playing at the top level. Talent doesn't have to be nurtured here anymore. There's so much money in the game, the best can be brought in from abroad and the best WANT to come here from abroad because of the riches to be made. And that, I suggest, is one of the reasons England got knocked out of the recent tournament thingy (I don't pay too much attention to international football, it's meaningless to me) by Iceland.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well therein lies another problem. The players named in the post you replied to are both English. Because of the money prevalent in the game nowadays though, there are clearly cases of talented English/British players who have to ply their trade in the lower/non leagues because of the massive number of non-British players playing at the top level. Talent doesn't have to be nurtured here anymore. There's so much money in the game, the best can be brought in from abroad and the best WANT to come here from abroad because of the riches to be made. And that, I suggest, is one of the reasons England got knocked out of the recent tournament thingy (I don't pay too much attention to international football, it's meaningless to me) by Iceland.

Worth bearing in mind that English players are very reticent about playing abroad - very few of the many good players the game has produced have toddled off across the channel.

screenman

Legendary Member
Aaah so those of us who also gave up a wild time in our 20s to do a job to and be the best at it can just suck it yes ?

I made a bad career choice, I should have been a civil servant of some kind as I would be retired on a nice fat pension by now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Worth bearing in mind that English players are very reticent about playing abroad - very few of the many good players the game has produced have toddled off across the channel.
There's been loads down the years. Off the top of my head, John Charles, Denis Law, Martin Chivers, Kevin Keegan, Graeme Souness, Ian Rush, John Aldridge, Gary Lineker, Mark Hughes, David Beckham, Paul Lambert, Trevor Francis, David Platt, Chris Waddle, Steve McManaman...loads more. I think the reason they tend to not go over the water now is that the money tends to be better in England.

subaqua

What’s the point
I made a bad career choice as well, I should have been a civil servant of some kind as I would be retired on a nice fat pension by now.
I never made a bad career choice . I chose to sacrifice a social life in my 20s to get the good career and good salary . I managed Fridays and Saturdays as wild nights .

screenman

Legendary Member
I never made a bad career choice . I chose to sacrifice a social life in my 20s to get the good career and good salary . I managed Fridays and Saturdays as wild nights .

Just changed it, I gave up my late teens onwards to working 7 days a week to support a family.

I think the reason they tend to not go over the water now is that the money tends to be better in England.

Carlos Tevez plays for Shanghai Senua and earns £615,000 a week !

Rooney may still go to Shanghai and is expected to be earning £750,000 a week (thats without sponsorship deals)

Just for the record, Mr Arrogance himself, Lewis Hamilton gets in excess of a million a race, plus placing bonus, sponsorship etc.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Are gay men under-represented in professional football?
Sorry sir. Weak analogy. It was the best I could come up with after a heavy day oppressing the proletariat and counting my LTIPs.

Last edited:
U

User482

Who knows?

My guess is they form the same percentage as in the general population, but in some sectors of society homosexuality is still The Love That Dare Not Speak It's Name.
Yes, it's very disappointing, made all the more stark by more enlightened attitudes seen in rugby and cricket. There's quite a strong representation of gay-friendly teams in amateur leagues.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Well, seeing as how clever you obviously are: why did you?
I did it for the love of the subject (geology) and also as a personal goal as when in school, one teacher said that I probably wouldn't get an O level in maths (which I did). Football just seems to have far too much money sloshing around in it with massive salaries.

Top Bottom