£10 deals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was referring to spelling :okay: the written not spoken word

I usually call one ‘pudding’ myself :laugh:

(Oh and I have a French degree albeit graduated a rather long time ago :smile: )

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Tesco, M&S , Morrisons and may be others do a £10 meal deal that includes: side dish, main course, desert and a bottle of wine. I just wonder how they can do it as they can't make anything on it. I suppose they rely on you buying other things as well. We just bought one of them tonight from Tesco. Cracking deal I think.
They are quite good deals but each of the four items averages at £2.50p each (or £3 in M&S)... so the side is expensive, the desert is expensive, the main is a half decent deal and the wine is a bargain. I'd never pay full price for any of them and it's only a bargain if you would have bought it anyway.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I do quite like the mango prawn from time to time. Peppers don't agree with me so even before I stopped eating meat, I steered clear of some of the chicken ones (and I never ate lamb)
Another fan of the prawn mango massala.
With Lidl naans (2 for 46p, and damn fine too!), home-made rice, mango chutney, cucumber raita and lime pickle we can get two meals out of the deal.
Only problem is that the Little Waitrose in town tends not to stock the expensive options like the prawn one - the trip to the bigger one at Newark rather negates the saving!

D

Deleted member 26715

They are quite good deals but each of the four items averages at £2.50p each (or £3 in M&S)..
Compared with the 46p (if I remember correctly) that Jamie Oliver had to play with for the school meals so potentially still a healthy margin

vickster

Legendary Member
Another fan of the prawn mango massala.
With Lidl naans (2 for 46p, and damn fine too!), home-made rice, mango chutney, cucumber raita and lime pickle we can get two meals out of the deal.
Only problem is that the Little Waitrose in town tends not to stock the expensive options like the prawn one - the trip to the bigger one at Newark rather negates the saving!
Ah my little Waitrose often has the prawn one which is good but not much else veggie mains wise. I get the veg biryani normally.
I’ve not bought the one with pud and wine as I’d never drink it (would prefer more food :mrpig:)

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I've noticed the Veggie curry choices tend to be the milder ones.
I'd love for them to do a Pathia style Veggie option.
An only slightly facetious point: a mild curry can always be made hotter by judicious addition of pep sauce, but it's difficult to make a hot one milder.
Is it just foreign food and drink they do?:rolleyes:
If you are looking for fish and chips, sorry but they don't do that.:okay:
Just how British is fish and chips? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
:hungry::scratch:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I cook everything from scratch so never go for these deals :angel:

I'm teetotal, so these deals are lost on me. :laugh:

A lot of it tends to end up on yellow sticker anyway, and when that happens, I'll swing for the desserts, but not for the rest. I can cook the same dishes at home from scratch for less, especially since I use YS and value ingredients anyways.

I do suspect (as mentioned upthread) that the deal, when considered as a whole, is a loss leader, but on the individual items, especially the sides, the profit margins can be pretty big.

N.B. The mark-up on prepared food was covered on the most recent series of Eat Well For Less, btw, and it was rather eye-opening.

If you are looking for fish and chips, sorry but they don't do that.:okay:
The reason for that is that there is a real art to producing proper fish and chips and it doesn't lend itself to being processed, packaged, driven round in a lorry, warmed up. Unlike some "sophisticated" foreign foods :smile: *

I tend to find all those packaged food deals a bit bland and not actually very time saving at all - I can rustle up something myself faster - mind you I have simple tastes.

* thanks for exciting my taste buds - a biggish ride today and afterwards I think I'll treat myself to some fish and chips from the local talented chinese folk.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Sounds about right..
None of that sounds right but you get the meaning I think. The hit is taken by the original supplier to the supermarket.
Another ploy is to place a massive order to get a larger discount and then when the top has been creamed off lower the price to a loss leader and then eventually cancel the remainder of the order but keep the discount. The supplier has been well and truly shafted. I was on the fringes of whisky sales in the wholesale market at one time and that did happen.

Top Bottom