£1000-£1500 to spend on a road bike, advice great fully accepted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've seen it on't - telly Piemanpaul.

Little 5ft grey chubby in lycra on £4000 bike doing approx 11mph - near pmsl.

Now - my name ain't Cavendish/Wiggins or Sagan but seriously...

Anyway my point is (probably) that as long as we enjoy our bikes & the company (or solitude) we have while riding 'em, I suppose it doesn't really matter what we ride.

And on that bombshell...

Goodnight. :hello:
like they say - buy the best you can afford and Sir alan sugar can buy whatever he likes. Doesn't mean he has to ride it like he stole it, just cause its a pinarello.

Why laugh at someone just cause they ride slowly on an expensive bike????

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Unless it's a TT bike, obviously! Been riding mine on the road outside my house to get the feel of it. Not good for the ol' self esteem to be overtaken by a small child on a tricycle!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
like they say - buy the best you can afford and Sir alan sugar can buy whatever he likes. Doesn't mean he has to ride it like he stole it, just cause its a pinarello.

Why laugh at someone just cause they ride slowly on an expensive bike????
In fairness Jowwy - you're quite right as I buy the best I can afford too & yes Sugar can buy the Moon if he wants to.

Also for 'part'of the filming - he was talking too - so a bit of credit there.

However - I am not laughing at a one legged man with a glass eye - begging on the street.

Why does anyone laugh ?

You maybe laugh at things I take seriously.

Just seen to many 'Yuppies' (remember them) doing the same thing on the same uber machines - talking the talk & following each other like clones of Bradley Wiggins (albeit an 11 mph Wiggins).

I don’t suggest that anyone shouldn't buy/own/ride a Pinerello - unless the reason for buying it is 'Status' symbol only.

For me you can ride a £50 scrapper or a £7000 uber bike & as long as your in it for the right reasons it's all fair play.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why shouldn't people be able to spend their hard earned / not so hard earned cash on a flash bike as a status symbol even if they don't ride it to its full potential? It's no different to owning an even mildly fast car, as you'll never be able to use it fully if you stick to speed limits.

I don't have the ability probably to ride any of my bikes to the potential a superior cyclist could achieve. Nor will my sporty car ever reach its limits. Does that mean I should sell them all and buy an ancient car and a used Apollo from eBay?

As long as people don't take the mick out of other people or their stuff, be it budget or extremely expensive, then all good

Also, sooner or later those with flash bikes with flog them or upgrade, which means other may get a relative bargain later on :smile:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
All that aside, if I am paying over a grand for a bike, I want to get the best for my money.
Totally agree Piemanpaul.

(Unless your Alan Sugar) - see the Alan-Gate scandal.

Out of pure interest - I was watching the 4th stage of the Tour of Dubai (recorded) earlier today & thought of you.

Two International Pro Tour Teams - Movistar & Katowsha both on Canyon.

They won't ride rubbish will they ? Even if they get paid sponsorship.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Why shouldn't people be able to spend their hard earned / not so hard earned cash on a flash bike as a status symbol even if they don't ride it to its full potential? It's no different to owning an even mildly fast car, as you'll never be able to use it fully if you stick to speed limits.

I don't have the ability probably to ride any of my bikes to the potential a superior cyclist could achieve. Nor will my sporty car ever reach its limits. Does that mean I should sell them all and buy an ancient car and a used Apollo from eBay?

As long as people don't take the mick out of other people or their stuff, be it budget or extremely expensive, then all good

Also, sooner or later those with flash bikes with flog them or upgrade, which means other may get a relative bargain later on :smile:
Isn't this what forums are all about (different folks - different strokes) ?
I seem to have opened a can of worms here don't I.

Now - for example, I have 'liked' many of your posts on here & thought them to be well constructed & intelligent comments on any particular topic.

There have been other posts that I have been ambivalent to.

There might also have been the odd one I have not agreed with to some degree.

But I accept that others have different -sometimes wildly different opinions to mine.

Maybe it was in 'Slightly' bad taste to poke fun at our Alan but fun it was meant to be.

As I said to Jowwy - there maybe somethings you (or anyone else) has laughed at, that I take very seriously (or maybe not).

Maybe I need to be more mindful of my own humour.

In any case both yours & Jowwy's points are taken.

Best of British.

vickster

Legendary Member
I might have a drug and pain addled brain, apologies for any offence!

If people buy stuff as a status symbol then that's up to them. People buying expensive stuff leads to developments dripping down and getting cheaper. Bikes, cars, TVs, all sorts. Benefits us all

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I might have a drug and pain addled brain, apologies for any offence!

If people buy stuff as a status symbol then that's up to them. People buying expensive stuff leads to developments dripping down and getting cheaper. Bikes, cars, TVs, all sorts. Benefits us all
None taken or intended vickster.

I used to get into all sorts of bother in the R.A.F due in no small measures to my own self perceived 'sense of humour'.

Occasionally I & others will post something that gets peoples heckles up - it's just that different folks/strokes thing again.

And I do confess to playing the devils advocate from time to time.

Wish both yourself & jowwy all the best

Now lets all get back to Piemanpaul & hope he finds the perfect bike for him.

OP
OP
Piemanpaul

Piemanpaul

Regular
Blimey, that all got a bit intense, just one last thought on the Alan (your fired) sugar thing.
Spending £4,000 on a bike for him would be like me spending £50 on a runaround. Yes he probably won't ever appreciate the bike fully, but I'm sure he doesn't really get the best out of his £200,000+ car, especially as he doesn't even drive it.
The original point I was making which started all this off was that my mate had the funds to buy 3 or 4 different bikes, and recommended the canyon.
He has been cycling for years and until recently when he became a father, would think nothing of a ride out to the coast and back after work.
Anyway, thanks for all the advise, keep it coming, I've got less than a month to make up my mind:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Having seen both at the London bike show, I think rose bikes look much better than canyon if you are going the German mail order route. Cycling plus raved about their super light alu if you are open to non carbon :smile:

OP
OP
Piemanpaul

Piemanpaul

Regular
Hi all, thought I would let all of you that have commented on this post know that I took ownership of my brand new cube agree road bike today, it took a lot of deliberating but I think I made the right decision. Just in time for the nice weather to start as we'll:smile:

Top Bottom