£1000-£1500 to spend on a road bike, advice great fully accepted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piemanpaul

Regular
Ok I'm sure that this question has been raised a thousand times before, I am looking to buy my first road bike at the end of feb, beginning of march.
I'm looking to spend about £1300ish (£1000 to the wife), I've had a good look round and have got a short list and want to know what people think.
Planet X RT-58
Focus Cayo Evo 4
Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7
Cannon dale super 6 13
I know there will be a few more suggestions for bikes of this price bracket, but the list can go on and on it seems.
I am hedging towards the focus, purely because Edinburgh cycle do 0% finance, would like your views, I have a month to decide!!!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would take the Cannondale over all the others simply because its a brand I respect and trust.
It's probably not the best spec bike there but if you have any issues, they are the company I would like to deal with

OP
OP
Piemanpaul

Piemanpaul

Regular
I've got a friend out in France at the minute trying to negotiate a good price on a second hand one for me, are their frames as good as focus/ canyon, I've heard and read that both frames are very good, not heard as much about cannondale??

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The big thing for me is that with Cannondale I would be shocked if I received a poor quality or poorly finished product, by contrast I have seen one of the other brands mentioned with decals that looked liked they had been fitted by my dog. The only way such products reach customers is if you don't care or you lack pride IMHO.
Cannondale are willing to stand behind the product with a lifetime frame warranty unlike Focus or Canyon.
A lifetime frame warranty has costs to the company and customer but it highlights a company's wish.. Some want to sell nothing but bikes, others want to give you a great riding experience and earn customer loyalty even when things go wrong, as they can.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-bike.135780/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Piemanpaul

Piemanpaul

Regular
Thanks for the advice, just read your link, all good stuff. Let's hope my mate comes back from France with a good deal for me then.

doog

Did similar research to you last year and settled on a CAAD10 ...resale value was high on the list as it appears this is a decent indicator of quality. Great bike, even if some of the components arent top of the range the frame is a 'keeper'........ decent little package in 105

In fact just got a supersix recently as well but have yet to give it a proper go.

OP
OP
Piemanpaul

Piemanpaul

Regular
I was looking at the CAAD10 but couldn't find anyone near me that stocked it, Edinburgh cycle co op only stock the 8.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Sorry to all the above CC'ers but I have to differ but 'not' disagree if you get my drift ?

On the basis that I like something a bit different & that I am a bit of a gambler - I would go for the Canyon.

I also believe in German engineering (yes built in Asia probably) - but designed & engineered in Germany.

The frame/fork are Canyon products - designed by Canyon engineers & not generic - (a £3k deRosa has the excact same generic frame as a £1500 Ribble R872).

The spec on the Canyon in terms of bang per $ is far, far higher than any of those other brands mentioned (due to direct sales format).

On the other hand, you don't get to try before you buy or even sit on one (unless your mate, clubmate has one) & obviously it may be more difficult dealing with warranty issues - although I believe they would back up any claims made anyway.

I have read that this year there are going to be lots of Canyon demo days around the country too - but maybe not in time for you.

Now - I don't disagree with those who have posted in favour of the Emmerdale sorry Cannondale as they are most probably a) bang on right & definitely b) far more experienced & knowledgeable than I.

Yes 'Dale are respected & rightly so - just -

A little bit safe

OP
OP
Piemanpaul

Piemanpaul

Regular
I was told by a far more experienced cyclist than me, (by that I mean younger, fitter and richer) that the canyon frames are very good and that I could do a lot worse, it does put me off a little that I can't have a test ride on it, also that you have to do everything over the phone. Pros and cons I guess!!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I was told by a far more experienced cyclist than me, (by that I mean younger, fitter and richer) that the canyon frames are very good and that I could do a lot worse, it does put me off a little that I can't have a test ride on it, also that you have to do everything over the phone. Pros and cons I guess!!
Ha, ha, - love it, - "more experienced - younger, fitter, richer".

Have you ever seen Sir/Lord Alan Sugar on his Pinerello ??

Just a little Rich man on expensive bike - minus pin stripe suit - bet he can talk a good 100k ride but only do 1 lap of his grounds.

Anyway I digress.

When I see Canyon - I see BMW & AUDI
When I see Focus - I see VW
When I see Raleigh (todays Raleigh) or
Carrera - I see British Leyland (Austin Metro/Montego & LDV vans.

Cannondale/Giant the best of the Yanks.

In its base form this is either brand perception or just plain snobbery on my part (although I have nothing to be snobby about).

It may be also that I am just a poor misguided fool & I should have great pitty poured upon me by a 100 'fallen angels'.

Either way & FWIW - I think you won't go far wrong with your initial choices.

OP
OP
Piemanpaul

Piemanpaul

Regular
Thanks centurion although I'm not sure Alan sugar has ever thrown his leg over a cross bar, I'm sure he has someone to do that for him.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Thanks centurion although I'm not sure Alan sugar has ever thrown his leg over a cross bar, I'm sure he has someone to do that for him.
I've seen it on't - telly Piemanpaul.

Little 5ft grey chubby in lycra on £4000 bike doing approx 11mph - near pmsl.

Now - my name ain't Cavendish/Wiggins or Sagan but seriously...

Anyway my point is (probably) that as long as we enjoy our bikes & the company (or solitude) we have while riding 'em, I suppose it doesn't really matter what we ride.

And on that bombshell...

Goodnight. :hello:

Top Bottom