£1000 carbon or alu for first serious bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Powely

I'd go Defy 1 if I was you. The Giants are lovely bikes, frames are some of the best out there. Also I believe their own brand stores are having a sale (20% off) soon so you may be able to pick up a defy 1 for around £800. Actually I'd look at the TCR COMP 2 which will be around £1200, reduced from £1500 and it's carbon. Won't find a better deal than that for a top quality carbon frame with decent components. I've rode a basic alu frame and higher spec'd carbon and I'd say there's a noticeable difference, so much so, I'd sold my alu frame as I knew I'd never ride it again.

swiftylee

i did a lot of research and tried many an got the cannondale caad 8 105 matt black & silver..

did a 56 mile charity ride and then 11 miles home a real delight

Milzy

Guru
i did a lot of research and tried many an got the cannondale caad 8 105 matt black & silver..

did a 56 mile charity ride and then 11 miles home a real delight

yes, looks awesome & is awesome, defiantly take this over a Defy 1!!!

So, on my first sportive on an entry level Boardman I over took a super six & many exotic bikes & finished well ahead of them o_O
The Viking is about half the price of your Boardman, and is 5 or 6 years old, and I am 49. All i am trying to say is it's not always down to the bike.

Milzy

Guru
The Viking is about half the price of your Boardman, and is 5 or 6 years old, and I am 49. All i am trying to say is it's not always down to the bike.

Not always no. You don't know if that Cannondale rider is doing interval training or near the end of a 150 mile ride. Maybe even slowly coming back from an injury. ;)

Not always no. You don't know if that Cannondale rider is doing interval training or near the end of a 150 mile ride. Maybe even slowly coming back from an injury. ;)
True, but looking at segment times on strava I can manage similar times (and remember these are best times) against those with similar abilities ( I started following some local riders back in Mar/Apr, that had similar times to me), and some are riding £3,000 bikes, and mine can weigh up to 16Kg's, though 12-13Kg's is more the norm, of course there are many much faster than I am, and I am sure many would also be quicker on mine than me.
I will never be able to afford such expensive bikes, so I have to make do with what I have, and I am quite happy with my increase in fitness over the last year or so (more so this year, as the first 6 months were hell to be honest), my first rides I was lucky if I managed 11mph over 20-30 miles on very flat routes,these days I generally manage high 15's low 16's over whatever course I do, ( I don't generally stay out more than 2 /1/2 3 hours, mental health issues),and whilst it's not particularly hilly round here, there is sufficient variety to make some a nice work out.
This was my run this morning. http://app.strava.com/activities/71816686 dont take to much notice of the K.O.M. only 2 riders on it, though in fairness he is general much quicker than me.
;)

Milzy

Guru
There's plenty of people with all the gear & no idea. Team clothing wannabes all over. Just like rich people buy super cars but can't drive them around a track as fast as a good driver can drive a mundane car.
I changed to racing tires & smashed my KOMS, when the light wheel set goes on I'll smash my coms further. If you have a higher ceiling to reach then the finer things will help. Give a pro rider an old Viking & he'll come last.

There's plenty of people with all the gear & no idea. Team clothing wannabes all over. Just like rich people buy super cars but can't drive them around a track as fast as a good driver can drive a mundane car.
I changed to racing tires & smashed my KOMS, when the light wheel set goes on I'll smash my coms further. If you have a higher ceiling to reach then the finer things will help. Give a pro rider an old Viking & he'll come last.
Off course he will, there is a world apart at the pro level and what most people like me can afford, I have no doubt if I rode a £3,000 carbon at 7-8Kg's or so, my speeds would increase toward the 18-19mph avg, and hence go further in my time frame. Changing the wheels to RS10 was an improvement and the new shoes seem to help, even though not road shoes, new bars increased comfort, I wear cycling specific clothing, but usually less than a tenner a shirt, shorts i do pay a little more for, I used to run on Ultra Sports, but i got a really good discount on a pair of gatorskins. I am not out to win races, I am too old for that, but as I said previously, I am happy to see my improvements and that a bike like mine and me riding it, can perform as well as riders on much more expensive bikes. Regarding team kit in all sports, you are paying some one for free advertising, something wrong there IMHO.

Powely

I overtook a cannodale on my viking the other day

Bit axe grinding that reply don't you think? I don't recall anyone else mentioning more expensive bikes would be faster than cheaper ones with different riders in this thread. I'm sure a pro rider on a much cheaper bike would be massively quicker than me on my road bike! The OP was just looking for advice on the best spec'd bike for his budget. Not wishing to fuel this debate too much but you came across as having a wee bit of a chip on your shoulder with that reply IMHO. Sorry.

Bit axe grinding that reply don't you think? I don't recall anyone else mentioning more expensive bikes would be faster than cheaper ones with different riders in this thread. I'm sure a pro rider on a much cheaper bike would be massively quicker than me on my road bike! The OP was just looking for advice on the best spec'd bike for his budget. Not wishing to fuel this debate too much but you came across as having a wee bit of a chip on your shoulder with that reply IMHO. Sorry.
Axe grinding me never.
I don't actually take much notice of what bike I overtake or get overtaken by, more concerned with where people are in relationship to safety, I just happened to notice this one.
We are not comparing pro riders though are we, from the O.P. he said what he wanted from it was a 100 miles leisure riding, this can be achieved on almost any bike above £400, all I was trying to point out is that you don't need an expensive bike to achieve 100 miles a week, better bikes come into there own on longer rides where weight = energy spent, so a light bike is preferable, climbing hills as you know is also easier.
I also see many riders out in very fine dry weather, I see very few when its wet apart from commuters. I read a lot of comments especially in winter re. salt and what it does.
In the last 14 months I have covered 8710 miles to today in all weathers, snow ice, fog rain, sun, covering from a short trip to the docs, to 100 miles and in all that time I think I have noticed the names on four bikes, a Boardman, a Biancie and a couple of Specialized I think.

Powely

Axe grinding me never.
I don't actually take much notice of what bike I overtake or get overtaken by, more concerned with where people are in relationship to safety, I just happened to notice this one.
We are not comparing pro riders though are we, from the O.P. he said what he wanted from it was a 100 miles leisure riding, this can be achieved on almost any bike above £400, all I was trying to point out is that you don't need an expensive bike to achieve 100 miles a week, better bikes come into there own on longer rides where weight = energy spent, so a light bike is preferable, climbing hills as you know is also easier.
I also see many riders out in very fine dry weather, I see very few when its wet apart from commuters. I read a lot of comments especially in winter re. salt and what it does.
In the last 14 months I have covered 8710 miles to today in all weathers, snow ice, fog rain, sun, covering from a short trip to the docs, to 100 miles and in all that time I think I have noticed the names on four bikes, a Boardman, a Biancie and a couple of Specialized I think.

No, not seriously comparing myself to a pro rider. More making an extreme reference to state the obvious that of course it's not all in the bike. And yes we don't need a £400+ bike to ride a 100 miles but I personally wanted one as I felt I would enjoy my rides more and I do. I also knew I'd be looking to upgrade parts merely out of curiosity if I didn't get a fairly well spec'd bike. I'm guilty of pretty much only riding in fair weather but again that's just down to me riding when suits me, although I have been caught out in the rain a good few times and still really enjoyed my ride. At the end of the day we'll all spend what we are comfortable with, ride when it suits us and each to their own I say.

Top Bottom