£1000 carbon or alu for first serious bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike71A

Hello

Just started cycling and going to invest in my first road bike. Do I spend my £1000 on a Boardman Carbon from Halfords or invest in a Alu bike with carbon forks and get a better spec bike and if so any recommends?. I will be doing about 100 miles per week for leisure cycling and already commute daily to work (15 miles) on a mountain bike. Any advice greatly appreciated.

MikeW-71

Veteran
IMHO, at that price point you're better off going for an alu frame. You will tend to get a better spec of components that way as the frame is cheaper. Take Giants Defy 1 for example. £999 with a carbon seatpost, carbon forks and lighter wheels than the lower Defys, along with most of a Shimano 105 groupset.

Based on my experience with my Defy 2, I would not hesitate to recommend them.

If you were going to £1500 then I would edge towards carbon, and at £2000 definately carbon.

I am not going to comment, as I am as quick as some people (people of similar abilities) on £2-3000 bikes on my viking (£300) and its done in excess of 8,000 miles, 7,500 miles or so this last year, bottom end gear on it. It has however am upgrade to RS10 wheels, but again they are pretty low end stuff, and weight well anything upto 18Kg's though when trimed comes in at about 12Kg's.

Bike_Me

Hi Mike,

I'm basically on the same boat as you. I've spent the last few months researching to death what bikes are available, along with pros and cons on brands, steel, alu, carbon, shimano, campy, shram, etc.

It really comes down to personal preference, and most importantly frame fitment. So I would highly recommend getting out there and trying out as many bikes as possible. I'm at the stage of choosing a number of bikes to test ride, from the 500-1100 mark, just to give me an idea of whats available and how it all compares. Online reviews are a great tool, but as we all differ in sizing, shape and posture, they may not always be as accurate as you might think, i.e review 'A' for bike 'x' might be average, however it may actually be superb and a great fit for you.

I've got 2 bikes in mind which I'm torn between, 1. a steel bike which aesthetically ticks all the right boxes and rides and fits really well, but the components could be better, and 2 a alu/carbon bike that has great components, but aesthetically could do with a few changes - I'm still yet to test ride it though..

Another thing you might need to consider, is that the 2013/2014 season is coming to an end, so your choices may be limited. It also means many manufacturers will be introducing new models in the coming months; new colour schemes / components, new models and also possible discontinuation of current models / frames. So just be mindful, if you find a model that you like, your size may or may not be available, and you may need to wait for the 2014/2015 model. To my disappointment, the bikes I mentioned above, seem to be no longer available in my size - which just means I'll have to keep digging around or wait for the new release, I just hope they continue one of the bikes above into the 2014/2015 range.

Hope this helps, and enjoy looking for 'The' bike!

FWIW a rule of thumb I was once told when buying a new bike is to buy the very best frame your budget will allow, (everything else is easy to upgrade if you need/want to), so with a £1K budget that will always be alu, but as others have said, you need to try as many as possible.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
An aluminium Giant Defy is an excellent bike, I bought one in 2010 and it's still my favourite bike.

lejogger

Guru
Just to flip the discussion... I ride a boardman team carbon (2010 model) and it's flipping lovely. (IMO)

Obviously I've upgraded the wheels, the shifters, the seatpost, the stem, the front mech, the saddle, the cables, ... Urm well you get the idea.

The frame is great, and that's what matters. I will soonish have a pretty much full SRAM red setup on a very nice carbon frame. An Olympic gold medal winning designed frame in actual fact.

I've knocked out decent TT times on it and it gets me up every club ride climb in the front group. It gets me to work, but it gets me KOMs at the same time.

It's a bike that is great out the box, but you can also upgrade and mould into something you really love without breaking the bank. As a first proper road bike, I don't think I could have made a better decision.

Some food for thought.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have two road bikes one carbon, one alu with carbon forks. Personally I prefer my carbon bike. It is as stiff as alu but soaks up roadbuzz without compromising on power transfer. At 7.5kg with a 58 cm frame it is light as well.
However that is my preference as a regular rider of both frame materials. It is down to the individual though and another rider may have a totally different view or experience.
For £1000 you could do a lot worse than one of these

buggi

Bird Saviour
Check the weight before you decide. The difference in weight between the boardman carbon and the boardman alu with carbon forks is only about 300 grams. Your pedals weigh more! and the price difference between those two bikes is about £300 and it has all the same spec...from the seat post, rims, stem, groupset... EVERYTHING is the same except for the frame. are you going to pay an extra £300 for 300 grams? Having had carbon, magnesium and alu frame (with carbon forks) I wouldn't be a carbon snob again because my favourite one was the magnesium frame (now sadly broken), and the one i ride most out of my carbon and alu is the alu... so i suppose that says it all.

i crack the carbon out on long days but i think its more to do with the skinny tyres than how light it is (my alu is a cross bike)

musa

Über Member
At a 1000 most carbon bikes will compromise on component the new 2014 Roubaix sport is out but equipped with tiagra. Then there are the trek bike like the madone 2.1

But at that price i would lean to an alu bike. A canyon would be nice. as mentioned 1200+ will get a decent carbon bike

Cycle to work scheme??

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
so let me get this right spending 1K but you dont know what bike to buy surly then you would be better off spending a lot less by buying a 2nd hand bike to try a road bike and then once you know for sure that you like road bikes then make a decision , but hey thats only my mho

Kies

I have last years Defy 1, great bike with mainly 105. I was thinking about a carbon, but I then rode my friends cube which was £1300 . it wasn't any lighter than mine or faster or more comfortable. It also had Tiagra throughout.
The cycling world applaud the Defy frame, so my plan is to upgrade the wheels to fulcrum racing 3's, carbon aero bars and stem, and 105 cassette when the Tiagra one wears out.
Should keep me going for another year or two

Top Bottom