£1000 carbon or alu for first serious bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Powely
When I got my bike in 2008 I knew nothing of modern road bikes, but was advised it would get me from Dewsbury to London, I set of that same evening, I wish I had known more.
I didn't do much more on it for about 4 years, then took up cycling a little more seriously last year, but I do have a basic understanding of bikes and how they work, and over they last 14 months my bike has gone through so many changes re. gearing (just yesterday I changed the two low gears from 23 and 26 to 24 and 28 because I was tackling some hills I wasn't sure about) new bars stem, seat post, but I still use a low end Acera rear mech, I dont race and it shifts fine, but the bike is well maintained and keeps going.
I avg just below 16mph which for a bike weighing in at 13-15Kg's is not to bad and I am 49, and thats an avg over time and distance. I struggle to get faster but I am sure a £1000 bike will cure that.:smile:

Powely

@Powely
When I got my bike in 2008 I knew nothing of modern road bikes, but was advised it would get me from Dewsbury to London, I set of that same evening, I wish I had known more.
I didn't do much more on it for about 4 years, then took up cycling a little more seriously last year, but I do have a basic understanding of bikes and how they work, and over they last 14 months my bike has gone through so many changes re. gearing (just yesterday I changed the two low gears from 23 and 26 to 24 and 28 because I was tackling some hills I wasn't sure about) new bars stem, seat post, but I still use a low end Acera rear mech, I dont race and it shifts fine, but the bike is well maintained and keeps going.
I avg just below 16mph which for a bike weighing in at 13-15Kg's is not to bad and I am 49, and thats an avg over time and distance. I struggle to get faster but I am sure a £1000 bike will cure that.:smile:

Well done you. I've already gave more than enough of my thoughts on all this now, I'll leave you to grind that axe. Enjoy. ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Off course he will, there is a world apart at the pro level and what most people like me can afford, I have no doubt if I rode a £3,000 carbon at 7-8Kg's or so, my speeds would increase toward the 18-19mph avg, and hence go further in my time frame. Changing the wheels to RS10 was an improvement and the new shoes seem to help, even though not road shoes, new bars increased comfort, I wear cycling specific clothing, but usually less than a tenner a shirt, shorts i do pay a little more for, I used to run on Ultra Sports, but i got a really good discount on a pair of gatorskins. I am not out to win races, I am too old for that, but as I said previously, I am happy to see my improvements and that a bike like mine and me riding it, can perform as well as riders on much more expensive bikes. Regarding team kit in all sports, you are paying some one for free advertising, something wrong there IMHO.
How do gators compare to the ultra sports ?
I have gators on my commuter but stock ultra sports on my weekender as they came with the bike and i have considered running gators on it or maybe i should bite the bullet for some ultremo`s ?

Born2die

I was there last month in the end I bought the boardman race and used the spare £350 on helmet clothes shoes pedals lights saddlebag and a million other bits n bobs yes I could have gone the defy route but with the spare cash after buying all the bits I got a nearly new eBay special mountain bike to do the shopping run off road stuff on. the race is a great bike sora spec I will upgrade the brakes though and it's b****y quick too

I was there last month in the end I bought the boardman race and used the spare £350 on helmet clothes shoes pedals lights saddlebag and a million other bits n bobs yes I could have gone the defy route but with the spare cash after buying all the bits I got a nearly new eBay special mountain bike to do the shopping run off road stuff on. the race is a great bike sora spec I will upgrade the brakes though and it's b****y quick too

I have the same bike, and I agree with you, great bike. Don't bother with the brakes, just buy some better pads, way cheaper and better fix. The wheels are a tad heavy (thinking of upgrading mine) but they are bomb proof (still true and not had a puncture after 1000 miles plus).

Born2die

I have the same bike, and I agree with you, great bike. Don't bother with the brakes, just buy some better pads, way cheaper and better fix. The wheels are a tad heavy (thinking of upgrading mine) but they are bomb proof (still true and not had a puncture after 1000 miles plus).
Thanks for the advice what pads did you swap too? I'm saving through the winter for some new hoops not sure hat to get yet

Thanks for the advice what pads did you swap too? I'm saving through the winter for some new hoops not sure hat to get yet

I bought these on a recommendation
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash-pro-green-high-performance-pads/
Not cheap but excellent. I am sure others on here would be better placed to give recommendations though.

I hope to change my wheels in the spring but also not sure which to go for, I guess it will depend on how much I can afford then.

Top Bottom