£1000 Cycle to work road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

azif

Hi, got a cycle to work scheme starting in Feb, so decided to get myself a decent road bike (currently riding a Merida Speeder S1 hybrid). Just to note, this will be my first road bike.. although I do cover a fair few miles on my hybrid, I really want something which can handle hills.

I think I've got my options down to the Giant Defy 1, Merida Ride Alloy 94 or Trek Madone 2.1. There are a few other choices such as the Cannondale CAAD8 (or the CAADX for disc brakes) with 105, although I'm not convinced I want a race geometry. If I've missed something, then I'm open to suggestions!

I'm edging towards the Merida as the specs are pretty much the same and I like the internal cable routing over the Defy (and I'm not sure I want to give Trek money).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Are you limited to where you can buy from with the C2W scheme?

Lot of 2013 models kicking about in shops for a reduced price at the moment. Might be able to pick up a little more bike for your money.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Cube Peloton Race - Cube Peloton Race - Cube Peloton Race.

Why ?

Full 105 groupset - unlike most other brands where you get the gears/shifters but own brand/lesser specced other brand chainset/brakes/cassette/chain.

Internal routing on an aluminium frame - almost unheard of.

£999 & on budget.

I am going for this very bike in spring/summer on C2W scheme & have picked the store to get it from.

Leisurelakescycles.com -
If you were to join their V.I.P club (@ a cost of £30) you would get 5% off the full RRP before C2W making the bike £950.
For your £30 you will be sent a Muc Off bike Cleaning/Lubing kit worth mors than £30 & get 5% off all purchases for 1yr.

The Cube comes in 2 colour schemes - I personally prefer the white/blue/red as it reminds me of a Union Jack.

The only other suggestions I have are the Giant Defy 1 you mentioned (I had a Defy 2) great bike but got the wrong size & it wins best £1k bike in the Magazine Press most years or...

Focus Culebro SL1 or

Colnago Strada SL Wiggle Honda Team

Sure you will get a great bike for £1k whichever you chose...

Good Luck Hunting.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Can fully recommend LeisureLakes, good shop in Daventry!

I looked at a Cube GTC before Christmas, nice bikes, but then I got a great deal on my bike instead.

OP
OP
A

azif

Thanks for the replies so far! The C2W scheme is: http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/shop

I'm not completely sure I can buy elsewhere, but I *think* I get a 10% discount on their list prices, so some £1100 bikes are included. If I can buy elsewhere then it definitely doesn't include online shops like PX or ribble.. which is annoying.

@tissot: all the bikes I listed come with most of the 105 groupset (usually a tiagra cassette and the R565 crankset)

Thanks for the Cube suggestion, will see if I can find one locally!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
The cube peloton race is way up on my list too- with the mavic aksium wheels accompanying the 105 it's looking like a good choice. (I wouldn't by the Defy BECAUSE it's BOY and everyone seems to want one/ have one/ got one on order/ had one in the past/ knows someone that has one)
There's also the Specialized Allez Elite C2 which is priced at £900- so you can get a few toys for it- comes with full tiagra but is only available in white.
Or staying with Spec the Secteur Sport Disc is £950 but comes with mainly Sora- although it ticks the disc brakes box.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
I did the cannondale Synapse AL 105 Disc. Why because its geometry is more upright for endurance rather than race. Set up for mudguards and panniers, light, well specced and quality build, good stopping discs in wet. I also got £300 worth of kit thrown in too.

OP
OP
A

azif

I'm impressed by the specs on the cube, seems to be two places which sell it in my area - one is tredz and the other is an independent bike shop, who also seem to have a fair few older models going a discount. Fingers crossed the scheme will let me buy from a local shop instead of their own store!

I'll probably give Specialized a miss, they just seem to be completely underspecced for the money.

Any opinions on the Merida Ride 94? - I've been happy with my hybrid, and a friend has the cyclocross 4 and loves it.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I'm impressed by the specs on the cube, seems to be two places which sell it in my area - one is tredz and the other is an independent bike shop, who also seem to have a fair few older models going a discount. Fingers crossed the scheme will let me buy from a local shop instead of their own store!

I'll probably give Specialized a miss, they just seem to be completely underspecced for the money.

Any opinions on the Merida Ride 94? - I've been happy with my hybrid, and a friend has the cyclocross 4 and loves it.
I remember a review of a Merida in a bike mag I read recently -
Will find it re-read & post back :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
The cube peloton race is way up on my list too- with the mavic aksium wheels accompanying the 105 it's looking like a good choice. (I wouldn't by the Defy BECAUSE it's BOY and everyone seems to want one/ have one/ got one on order/ had one in the past/ knows someone that has one)
There's also the Specialized Allez Elite C2 which is priced at £900- so you can get a few toys for it- comes with full tiagra but is only available in white.
Or staying with Spec the Secteur Sport Disc is £950 but comes with mainly Sora- although it ticks the disc brakes box.

You are suggesting Specialized because you think Giant are common :ohmy: . I would say I see 2-3x as many Specialized as any other brand on the roads at least. Very few Giants in comparison

Get a brand you've never heard of if you want something unusual ^_^ I had my Pearson out today, didn't see another and that's in SW London where they hail from. I probably saw 15 or more Specializeds however

In Manchester or Cornwall, I doubt you'd ever see another Pearson

That said I don't think you can get a geared Pearson for a grand

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Is it your work C2W scheme that prevents you using Ribble & Planet X azif ??

Just 'cause I know Ribble accept C2W & have a few Models at £1k or under.

Thinking mainly of the Carbon R872 which has a following here on CC.
You would only get Sora at this £ though & budget wheelset.

Top Bottom