£1000 Cycle to work road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
You are suggesting Specialized because you think Giant are common :ohmy: . I would say I see 2-3x as many Specialized as any other brand on the roads at least. Very few Giants in comparison
Get a brand you've never heard of if you want something unusual ^_^ I had my Pearson out today, didn't see another and that's in SW London where they hail from. I probably saw 15 or more Specializeds however
In Manchester or Cornwall, I doubt you'd ever see another Pearson
That said I don't think you can get a geared Pearson for a grand
I said I wouldn't have one for that reason- that's not to say that they're not both good bikes and the OP would do well to get either- some people relish in the fact that they're popular.
You're right though- I don't think I have ever seen a Pearson in the flesh (so to speak) and wouldn't even know where to go to look for one, glad to hear you're out on one giving everyone else the chance to.

Cyclist33

Round here I think mostly Cannondales and Cubes, with plenty of Treks, Giants and Specializeds.

I quit brand loyalty fairly early on I think, when it became self evident that the right bike is the bike which is right, regardless who brands it.

Stu

vickster

Legendary Member
I have seen two other Paves, one locally, randomly on one of my rare outings on it, mutual 'nice bike' greeting exchanged...the other guy was around 10x quicker than me :biggrin:

And once, I am sure I saw someone pass my parent's house on one...in a village in Oxfordshire :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
A Pearson Pave, red, black, white, grey. I have minimised the black on mine with white saddle and tape, red hoods and tyres :becool:

Peteaud

Veteran
I did the cannondale Synapse AL 105 Disc. Why because its geometry is more upright for endurance rather than race. Set up for mudguards and panniers, light, well specced and quality build, good stopping discs in wet. I also got £300 worth of kit thrown in too.

Same here, and i have to say a fantastic bike. Rides better than my old Defy 2 (imho).

+1 for Cube

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I
Come on Louch -

I remember you posting the 'got a new Cube' thing.

A man of your Calibre should be undefeatable by a bit of precipitation.

:rain::rain::rain:

Absolutely Persisting down in Greater Manchester just now by the way.
have only had ten days, last weekend was spent searching fit a shed so could keep the boardman too, tomorrow will switch pedals over and test ride . Too pretty to mess it up!

OP
OP
A

azif

Is it your work C2W scheme that prevents you using Ribble & Planet X azif ??

Just 'cause I know Ribble accept C2W & have a few Models at £1k or under.

Thinking mainly of the Carbon R872 which has a following here on CC.
You would only get Sora at this £ though & budget wheelset.

They don't deal with them at all.. pretty sure they're against dealing with any online retailer - basically local bike shops only, although that's only going on an email - still worried I'll be stuck with their catalogue of bikes.. although it sounds like I won't be upset with the Defy 1 :smile:.. still trying to find a review of the Merida though.. can find ones of the more expensive bikes but not of the model I'm looking at.

vickster

Legendary Member

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 87

SteCenturion

I am your Father
O.k - here goes.

The Merida Ride 90 (not 94) alloy was part of a group test on sub £1k bikes in Cycle Active mag (Feb).

Unfairly it was tested against more expensive bikes - Ride 90 £599 - Boardman Comp £699 Fuji-Somethinorother £899 & Cube Peloton Race £999.

The Merida scored 86% (4th) up to 92/94% for the Cube (1st).
This stands to reason really as the 2 bikes are £400 apart and the Cube is much higher in spec.

FWIW the Merida weighed 9.8kg & was quite well liked by the tester even though it was placed last of the 4.

The only real negative was the own brand brakes & lack of downhill confidence (caused mainly by the brakes it appeared).

On the upside it was rated highly for comfort & climbing (25c tyres & wide range cassette helped) rather than weight.

I googled Merida Ride 94.

Spec is mixed - 105 derailleurs & shifters but lesser group chainset & own brand brakes etc.

The wheel set wasn't great either.

Funnily - if you give it a google & read the spec sheet it says.

Brakes - attached.
Bottom bracket - attached.
Hubs - attached.
Spokes - attached.

I wouldn't like any of these to be (detached) from the bike - might spoil the ride a little.

This is probably where they dont want to say (basic/budget).

Go to Winstanleybikes website - they have some Ride 94 & 93 Carbon (2013) in stock in very limited sizes on sale. £999 & £799 I think.

A CC'er just got a 2013 Cube Peloton from here & was happy.

So - still, my choice would be the 2014 Cube Peloton Race but the World & your £1k is your oyster.

All the best.

Top Bottom