£12:95 for fluorescent rain jacket from Ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ron4322

I'm on a public computer at the moment which doesn't allow me to post links.

I am looking for a lightweight windproof fluorescent yellow jacket for cycling. Windproof and breatheable is more important that true waterproofness. There are some on Ebay for £12:95, post free. Has anyone any experience of these? How do they compare with the more expensive ones from such as Montane? I normally assume that you get what you pay for, but sometimes in the past I've bought expensive and been disappointed, and conversely I've bought cheap and been well pleased. So I thought I'd pick your brains.

I'll come back on later when I'm on a proper computer, and post a link. Meanwhile, any comments anyone?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
You definitely get what you pay for in waterproof clothing.

If you genuinely only need windproof, then any cheapo jacket will do that, but I suspect what you actually want is windproof and breathable - which again puts you back into 'get what you pay for' territory.

OP
OP
R

ron4322

Ben Lovejoy said:
You definitely get what you pay for in waterproof clothing.

If you genuinely only need windproof, then any cheapo jacket will do that, but I suspect what you actually want is windproof and breathable - which again puts you back into 'get what you pay for' territory.

This is the link I couldn't post earlier.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Light-Weight-...mQQptZUK_Cycling_Clothing?hash=item2a01ac0618

Yes, I do want windproof and breatheable, ultimate waterproofness is not important.

Would I be right to think that the one I have posted is really waterproof and just relies on vents for breatheability? ie not breatheable material at all.

I'm very unsure about clothing for cycling. I've used Buffalo Pertex/Pile system in the past - a single garment warn next to the skin - for walking. I liked it for walking but I think it would be too hot for me for cycling. Other than that, I did like it. I suppose my ideal would be a lightweight fleece (different thicknesses maybe for different temperatures) to wick away from the skin, with a windproof shell over.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

MajorMantra

ron4322 said:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Light-Weight-...mQQptZUK_Cycling_Clothing?hash=item2a01ac0618

Yes, I do want windproof and breatheable, ultimate waterproofness is not important.

Would I be right to think that the one I have posted is really waterproof and just relies on vents for breatheability? ie not breatheable material at all.

I doubt it's even waterproof. I have something similar (though not cycling-specific) from JJB and it's windproof and sort of shower proof but definitely not waterproof. As you say, the vents are supposed to allow breathing but of course they are nowhere near as good as a proper breathable material.

Matthew

yello

I typed a response earlier but realised I'd misread you and you were talking about waterproof and breathable... anyways, I'll give it another go now!

I can't see that that jacket even claims to be breathable, nor waterproof for that matter - just water resistant with side mesh panels for ventilation. It could be windproof but as it doesn't say what fabric is used, it's difficult to say.

Buffalo pertex/pile would be way too hot for cycling. Pertex on it's own is good stuff; windproof, pretty good breathability and water resistant. IF that ebay jacket were pertex then I'd say it's worth a punt... but I somehow doubt it is.

Layers is the answer in cycling, imo. Wicking base (I swear by marino but there are man made fibres that work too), and a breathable mid. If it's cold or chucking it down, then a windproof/waterproof outer. If I were looking right to buy right now, I'd be looking at eVent fabric jackets (Montane do one, so do Wiggle's own brand dhb) but it's not cheap. But, as Ben says, you get what you pay for and, at the moment, eVent is as close as it gets to the holy grail fabric for cyclists, imho of course!

Danny

Legendary Member
Your ebay jacket might be OK for occasional use over short distances, but if you are going to put it to regular use I would invest in a better jacket (or at least one that you can try on before you buy).

Halfords stocks low price Polaris cycling jackets like these which should be reasonably good. Both Lidl and Aldi periodically stock low cost cycling gear but you have to keep an eye out for their sales. Cycle Promotions run sales round the country and often have jackets at 50% off the shop price.

OP
OP
R

ron4322

yello said:
I typed a response earlier but realised I'd misread you and you were talking about waterproof and breathable... anyways, I'll give it another go now!

I can't see that that jacket even claims to be breathable, nor waterproof for that matter - just water resistant with side mesh panels for ventilation. It could be windproof but as it doesn't say what fabric is used, it's difficult to say.

Buffalo pertex/pile would be way too hot for cycling. Pertex on it's own is good stuff; windproof, pretty good breathability and water resistant. IF that ebay jacket were pertex then I'd say it's worth a punt... but I somehow doubt it is.

Layers is the answer in cycling, imo. Wicking base (I swear by marino but there are man made fibres that work too), and a breathable mid. If it's cold or chucking it down, then a windproof/waterproof outer. If I were looking right to buy right now, I'd be looking at eVent fabric jackets (Montane do one, so do Wiggle's own brand dhb) but it's not cheap. But, as Ben says, you get what you pay for and, at the moment, eVent is as close as it gets to the holy grail fabric for cyclists, imho of course!

Thanks, thats very helpful.

OP
OP
R

ron4322

Danny said:
Your ebay jacket might be OK for occasional use over short distances, but if you are going to put it to regular use I would invest in a better jacket (or at least one that you can try on before you buy).

Halfords stocks low price Polaris cycling jackets like these which should be reasonably good. Both Lidl and Aldi periodically stock low cost cycling gear but you have to keep an eye out for their sales. Cycle Promotions run sales round the country and often have jackets at 50% off the shop price.

Thanks.

I'd not thought about Halfords, :rolleyes:, but I have seen some reasonably priced Polaris stuff in a local "Go Outdoors" shop. I'm not too far away from the Cycle Promotions shop, so can take a look, although I don't know if the prices will be the same as in their sales.

My problem (one of many) is that even when I try one on, read the label, feel the material etc, I do not know how they would perform in real life. I see different jackets at a whole range of prices. I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money, but I would sooner do that with confidence that I have got the right product than buy a cheap one that doesn't do the job. So, the more guidance I can get from other posters, the better. (Edit: ideally posters with particular experience of some of the likely products).

I have good memories of pertex/pile when walking, but I realise, and as yello has said, I need something much cooler for cycling - but I like the principle, ie a wicking layer and a surface from which any light rain can evaporate.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I bought one of the ebay jackets earlier in the year and I sweat like a whore in church wearing it.

It is windproof though. Haven't tested it in the rain yet.

OP
OP
R

ron4322

amnesia said:
I bought one of the ebay jackets earlier in the year and I sweat like a whore in church wearing it.

It is windproof though. Haven't tested it in the rain yet.

Thanks for that. Mainly due to my built-in insulation layer I tend to run hot anyway, so I'm pretty convinced to give that one a miss. Thanks, again.

Danny

Legendary Member
ron4322 said:
Thanks.

I'd not thought about Halfords, :biggrin:, but I have seen some reasonably priced Polaris stuff in a local "Go Outdoors" shop. I'm not too far away from the Cycle Promotions shop, so can take a look, although I don't know if the prices will be the same as in their sales.

My problem (one of many) is that even when I try one on, read the label, feel the material etc, I do not know how they would perform in real life. I see different jackets at a whole range of prices. I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money, but I would sooner do that with confidence that I have got the right product than buy a cheap one that doesn't do the job. So, the more guidance I can get from other posters, the better. (Edit: ideally posters with particular experience of some of the likely products).

I have good memories of pertex/pile when walking, but I realise, and as yello has said, I need something much cooler for cycling - but I like the principle, ie a wicking layer and a surface from which any light rain can evaporate.
I have a couple of Polaris jackets - though not the ones in Halfords - and have found them to be good quality. Their products aren't glamorous but seem to do what they say they will - suggest you look at the descriptions on their website for guidance.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
eVent is indeed the solution. Expensive, but the most expensive approach of all is to buy cheap ones, discover they're rubbish and eventually end up buying the expensive one anyway.

ron4322 said:

I'm very unsure about clothing for cycling. I've used Buffalo Pertex/Pile system in the past - a single garment warn next to the skin - for walking. I liked it for walking but I think it would be too hot for me for cycling. Other than that, I did like it. I suppose my ideal would be a lightweight fleece (different thicknesses maybe for different temperatures) to wick away from the skin, with a windproof shell over.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Buffalo do three weights of shirt, from ultra-toastie to simple windproof. Not checked the prices but i suspect considerably more than 12.99;)

As a lazy whatsit I find the idea of just a single layer rather than two or three or maybe even four is quite appealing:smile:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/dp6.htm

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/ls6.htm

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/ls8rollover.htm

Top Bottom