£17,500 dream bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
well my understanding of beauty is a bit different, i like to look at shiny things, so until carbon can be chromed or polished, i can't see much beauty in it:rolleyes:

to me, something closer to beautiful would be like this:

decent looking bike

to improve the looks even further the bike should have polished alloy cranks and polished alloy rims (and gear levers..)

Nope, probably because I am late into road cycling, I never saw the beauty in the older style bike. I can admire them for what they were, but have no real emotion over them. A modern carbon bike is a thing of beauty; the geometry, the engineering, the use of interesting flowing material.

17,500; someone has deep pockets. I hope they enjoy it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
i haven't seen a beautiful carbon bike yet - pics please!!

The thin tubed Cervélo (R2.5?) is a bit of a looker, as is that Bianchi from last year - largely because they look like a traditional steel frame though, I have to admit.

All these curvy, swoopy, wobbly monstrosities do nothing for me at all, I'm afraid - I'd sooner get Mercian to build me something in 953, and keep the change, innit.

Pretty carbon bike?

Troytec TTR-1 (my multi-million lottery win bike!)

SUB1271940626v2dau9mpx6_full.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
I went into a local cycle shop today and was admiring some gorgeous machines when the owner took me through the workshop and upstairs to see a bike that had just been finished for a client. It was the most wonderful carbon confection, and weighed under 10 pounds. The frame set was about £8K, the wheels £4.5K - even the stem was £600! Total cost was £17.5K. Everything was so beautifully made, and it really ought to have been hung on a wall in the National Gallery. I could have looked at it for hours, and I really envy the owner of this superb piece of art.

I wonder how much it'll actually get ridden?

I don't get it, sorry. I love my bikes, because I use them, and have good memories with them, and they do what I want them to (subject to my physical limitations), not because they are pretty, or very expensive.

I know we did this a little while back, about the cost of a set of wheels, but, £17,500 on a bike? That's... just so far beyond my comprehension.

If pressed to think in terms of prettiness, then I'd go for lugged classic steel anyway, not carbon. Just not my thing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Frameset wise I can possibly say it's a custom Parlee or Storck for £8k frame. Dogma's and C59's are about £3.5k. Wheels at £4k are either top Lightweights or something as fancy (would you ever ride a bike with £4.5k wheels on our roads ?)

Yuo can build a top dollar super bike for £4-£8k max that is 'real world' useable, only using the top kit.

PS That Dogma pictured would be the spec I'd go for Shamall, SR11...................... hmmmmmmmmmmmm (if I had money) or a custom 953 with the same kit, and save £2k - use the £2k for a nice MTB ?

Lucky barsteward................

tyred

Legendary Member
I wonder how much it'll actually get ridden?

I don't get it, sorry.  I love my bikes, because I use them, and have good memories with them, and they do what I want them to (subject to my physical limitations), not because they are pretty, or very expensive.

I know we did this a little while back, about the cost of a set of wheels, but, £17,500 on a bike?  That's... just so far beyond my comprehension.

If pressed to think in terms of prettiness, then I'd go for lugged classic steel anyway, not carbon. Just not my thing.

I have to agree. £17,500 is just too much to pay for a bike. I don't care what it is. For that sort of money, it would need to be able to cook me egg and chips for tea and wash the dishes afterwards.

At my end of the market, I've spent about £17.50 putting an old Elswick back on the road :thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
£17,500 pah!

Try 80,000 euro's for a fixed wheel - http://www.aurumania.com/#/order

Oh, that gold and cyrstal thing? Naff beyond belief... I suppose if you could scrape the gold off, you'd have some value...

£17,500. Think of how many decent machines you could get for that. A velomobile, a recumbent trike and a bike, a high spec Brommie, a nice tourer, a decent road bike, a BMX for mucking about on... You could n=1 almost to your heart's content. And probably still have some for a cheap old van to cart them about in.

As I type, BTW, there's a man washing my windows. It's a bit odd, two floors up...

I never said that the gold bike was nice, just expensive.

As it is only gold plating, I would imagine that one ride would cost a lot in wear and tear.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I never said that the gold bike was nice, just expensive.

I didn't imagine you did, no sane person would...

Geez, I'd be paranoid enough wearing a small diamond ring, let alone riding a thing like that. Surely not meant to be ridden, only looked at and boasted about.

Top Bottom