£20 for £18.95

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Probably chocolate coins left over from Christmas :okay:

Will only be legal tender in Jersey or Gibralter or some such. Probably bought a load expecting them to appreciate and now needs to feed the leccy meter

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
One of the ITV4 ads during the TdF coverage, I think it was, was offering commemorative £5 coins for £5. Which did leave me wondering how much wholesale fivers cost if it's worth their while paying for TV ads to stimulate demand.

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines

I think they are saying that they are legal tender, but no one will accept them. So not actually legal tender in any useful meaning of the word.
We receive a lot of enquiries about our popular silver commemorative coins (including £5 crowns, £20, £50 and £100 coins) and their legal tender status. Each issue is authorised by Royal Proclamation in accordance with the requirements laid down by the Coinage Act 1971. This means that in common with coins in general circulation these coins have legal tender status.

Please note that whilst the coins are legal tender, they are not designed for general circulation, so banks and shops will not accept the coins. The Royal Mint cannot accept returns of such coins outside of the 14 days return policy.

Edit: Should have refreshed the page

what he said :smile:

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines

I think they are saying that they are legal tender, but no one will accept them. So not actually legal tender in any useful meaning of the word.

Much as I dislike linking to the Daily Mail website, apparently you're OK to use them at Tesco: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rative-20-coins-called-POLICE-didnt-cash.html

winjim

Smash the cistern
Legal tender or legal currency? Legal tender only has to be accepted for the payment of debt. Shops can decline whatever they like for purchases as no contract exists until the transaction is carried out.

Fun fact: Scottish banknotes are not legal tender, even in Scotland.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The irony is that t isn't legal
Why do you say that? Scottish pound notes are legal currency. The shopkeeper's not obliged to accept them, but then they're not obliged to accept any particular form of payment. If they wanted to, they could demand payment only in the specific Welsh pound coins with the leek stamped on them and it would be perfectly legal. A bit silly perhaps...

Globalti

Legendary Member
My MIL is in a care home at the moment and we are slowly working our way through the boxes of crap that we removed from her house. Much of it goes to the dump or to charidee shops but there are a few things like commemorative coin sets that her late husband collected, which we need to sell. Unfortunately there are plenty of these special collectors' coins and sets on Eblag so the whole process is thoroughly disheartening.

I dread the day my own mother dies because she and my Dad use to "invest" in antiques and art, and now, years later, it turns out that they were misguided because this kind of stuff is only valuable if the artist happens to have become fashionable or the object is rare and in perfect condition. I sold a collection of their Victorian and Edwardian glassware to somebody for a tenner as it was all chipped and scratched. She keeps telling me we own a Turner, so last time I was there I checked and it's actually a lithograph of a Turner watercolour, worth probably a pound. God knows how much they paid for it.

As a footnote, I did once achieve something useful with an old family heirloom; when my FIL died he left a beautiful Victorian bible, which had collapsed under its own weight and was disintegrating. My MIL didn't want it so I had a wheeze; in Ramsbottom near my home I found a well-known restorer of Victorian books and bibles so I persuaded my employer to bung £100 to my MIL then to pay £180 to get the bible restored and then I gave it as a gift to a very good Nigerian customer who is an extremely devout Catholic and has a chapel in his home. He was thrilled to bits with the bible, especially when I told him the kid leather for the cover came originally from goats in northern Nigeria. That's true, by the way!

Top Bottom