£20 purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's a spoke protector (also disparagingly referred to as a "pie plate" or "dork disc"). You can get replacements if you want one: LINK

Many people don't like them and take them off at the first opportunity, but they do a job of preventing the chain jamming in the spokes and damaging them if it should accidentally shift too far and jump off the largest sprocket. If your gears are well set up this shouldn't happen.

Edit: This one would save a few pennies. I didn't mention that the gear cluster would have to be removed in order to fit a replacement which means either buying a special tool or getting the local bike shop to do it for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Thanks! :smile: Knew you'd know! lol
Will have a look at it with hubby when we do the work on it he's got to look at the gears as the front section (that shifts between three sprockets by the pedal) isn't moving over correctly so he's restricted me to one gear at the moment till he can get to it - and waiting for the tyres to do them at the same time. :smile:

There is a bike shop near me.. so if hubby can't sort the gears I'll take it to the shop but he reckons he can.. so I've gotta trust him! :wub: We're replacing the chain but don't need to adust the back gear section so might just remove or trim down the spoke protector then.

Thanks again. :smile:

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
So many inspiring threads on here - yes I'm up with insomina (medication side effect).

50 and 100 miles I'm figuring are like a half marathon and marathon in running terms
Which equates to my rides being a 10k race (as I did 5k in actual distance). Progression will come I know and rome wasn't built in a day.One thing I've learned is I can cycle better and faster than I can run.. so that gives me hope! :bicycle:

Today.. my bike is sat out of service. :sad: She's had her chain removed.. it was brutal! The chain tool hubby bought broke - so... out came the angle grinder!
Holy batgirl I was worried I must admit.. the sparks flew so much I couldn't help hold the chain. Hubby didn't slip though fair play my girl is in once piece (well y'know chainless n' all).

So, just waiting (impatiently) for new tyres now... We cleaned up the gears and oiled them up well to get them moving better. Sorted seat bolt out as it was pants - and raised the seat two fingers width as per other discussion on here.

So new chain is ready (right size) with a clip to put it on with, inners ready to go on.. just need tyres, and finish sticker removal - I started that today. I think plain beat up is better than old sticker beat up.

Phew... I am thinking my girl likes the attention, if a bit scary at times!

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Well after a fiasco with Tredz over tyres I ordered, they offered then I ordered the reflex ones above, I've still got no tyres and they've messed up the order 3 x now. So cancelled and got my money back.

Got two non-reflex tyres arriving at Halfords tomorrow - I HOPE! I won't hold my breath, but LBS was a bit too out of my budget for this bike. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-parts/tyres/schwalbe-silento-tyre-26x1-75 they took another £3 off at check out for some reason.. picking up from local halfords.

Spent an hour or so with a hairdryer taking off 2 out of 3 decals from the bike. It's left a kind of under print on the main body of the bike and it's two colours so the join is there, but had planned to put some decals / hi vis strips or chevrons there, so will make sure I 'accent' what is left behind.

I'm getting more and more tempted to strip this bike right back but hubby has told me not to as there is nothing to stop me getting a N+1 later! :hyper:

So.. for now I'll keep to the 'jalopy commuter' to be left at the station safely in the knowledge no one will want to steal her.

I'll have to have a ponder on what bike I want later on... my birthday is in February so you never know ;) once kids xmas is out of the way (and 2 of their birthdays..).

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
By Joe ... perhaps getting my tyres from Halfords was fate..

608327?$pd_main$.jpg

they sell this! ^^^^ I may have to put my superhero skills to the test in hunting it down!

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Well she has a new tyre.. yes ONE new tyre.. lol

Turns out they do have the reflective strip :smile: and after 30 mins we had her new tube, tyre and chain fitted. :smile: gears are working well - apart from final sprocket of the front dérailleur which I know needs attention.

2nd tyre should be in tomorrow - fingers x'd.

may as well do the whole frame while your at it :whistle:

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
may as well do the whole frame while your at it :whistle:
haha will it help ;)
Seriously though, the frame is on my list to strip down and repaint at some point. I've mused about an N+1 but being on a budget doing up this one is a good project and something I've never done so am enjoying it. I know it'll never be anything special but it's fun making her better than she was.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
FINALLY have 2 new tyres fitted, present and correct!

This afternoons test ride includes 5 of us going to the cylce track, 2 scooters, 1 jogger, hubby testing my bike then me riding my bike.. all of us will be on bikes this time next year!

we're in the process of clearing space for a bike shed.. i know you guys keep your bikes indoors but sadly no room for that. I'll make sure it's water proof and we treat the bikes well.

End of Sept the shopping begins for budget bikes for us all.

And I even saw a lovely colour purple on a bike which is befitting my idea of respraying my current bike. I'm a terror for getting attached to things and after doing some work to her think it's only fair she has a 'new life' for a while at least. So the N+1 will wait a while longer and be based on future riding - my deciision much to my husbands amusement that I want to strip her down and give her a complete paint job.

For now I'm Looking forward to riding again.. and again.. and again!

crdf

I think the same - the tyres give this effect at night which I like (same bike as in the picture I posted earlier by the way):
View attachment 54591

I've been considering reflective tape, but am unsure as to where I can stick it. This bike it looks like it is on the rim but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me (don't want to screw up y brakes).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been considering reflective tape, but am unsure as to where I can stick it. This bike it looks like it is on the rim but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me (don't want to screw up y brakes).
With reflective tape it can be put wherever you like really (bearing in mind the rules of the road - that red reflectives must be rear facing only). In the picture I posted though it isn't tape on the wheels, the Schwalbe Marathon tyres fitted to that bike have a reflective strip moulded into the sidewall.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom