£20 purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Those bar ends chould do with being angled a bit more forward to get the benefit from them. Here's how I have mine to give an idea:
View attachment 54462

Hope that's of use.:thumbsup:
Thanks :smile: I was thinking so yesterday too.. will have a look at how to adjust them, I did use them at one point but they don't allow the lean forward like I thought they should - thanks for confirming my musings. lol

Nice bike :smile: and panniers. :thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks :smile: I was thinking so yesterday too.. will have a look at how to adjust them, I did use them at one point but they don't allow the lean forward like I thought they should - thanks for confirming my musings. lol

Nice bike :smile: and panniers. :thumbsup:
Thankyou.:thanks: Nothing flash but I like it a lot. It wasn't looking at its best at the time having been dragged through the mud on the way to Lake Vyrnwy.:whistle: The panniers are a cheap triple set I got from Argos - they do the job okay.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Thankyou.:thanks: Nothing flash but I like it a lot. It wasn't looking at its best at the time having been dragged through the mud on the way to Lake Vyrnwy.:whistle: The panniers are a cheap triple set I got from Argos - they do the job okay.
Great to know about the farriers as am on a budget ;) you might've guessed..
This bike isn't a forever bike though just a 'see how I get on' not even sure what type of bike would suit me best the gravel type pathway is about as off road as I'll be going as am not too adventurous. There are sand paths if I want to go to the side tracks. A lot around here is cycle paths so tarmac.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
For the type of riding you describe a change of tyres would help. I have these on my knockabout bike, which are much easier rolling on tarmac than knobbly tyres but have enough tread depth to cope with a bit of off road too.

Thanks :smile: I was looking at different tyres as these are old and while hubby assures me they are 'fine' they look a bit like they're splitting - no totally but not far off. I was thinking they'd be more susceptible to punctures. I might look at a cheap / better bike though in time so it's a juggle on what to change just now. I'm hoping to commute a few miles to the train station and back.. I like the appeal of an ugly / old bike at the moment for less likely to be stolen factor as I'll leave it all day, if I had an expensive bike I'd be looking to take it 50 miles by train and locking it up at Uni where safer (possibly). it will be left in a small town that isn't too bad for crime.

Would a straight Hybrid bike be ok for the gravel shown?

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Great thanks :smile: Will keep that in mind then for when I'm ready to shop around. I think I might do the tires for this though as am going to do the chain when i do the gears - just as it'll be off anyhow. So at least it'll run better but still be undesirable in terms of theft. lol I don't care if it's not pretty - it can be my commuter if nothing else eventually ;)

If you've got WD on the brake surfaces/wheel rims, methylated spirits (not White Spirit) should remove it

If you have access to a spray tin of Brake Cleaner, that'll also do the job

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
If you've got WD on the brake surfaces/wheel rims, methylated spirits (not White Spirit) should remove it

If you have access to a spray tin of Brake Cleaner, that'll also do the job
Thanks :smile: I am pretty sure none got on there and rode yesterday after hubby tested brakes etc and no problems stopping. I defo didn't put it on the rims but am having the bike apart to do chain, gears, tyres/tubes soon so will double check.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi, sorry to bother you, do you think these tyres would be ok?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/raleigh-streetwise-26in-tyre-black-id37417.html#info

Am gonna double check size of tyre as I know my inners say 26 1.5/1.75 but not the tyre size on them. I've already got new inner tubes so need to make sure they'll fit. lol
Yes, those should do fine as long as you don't want to do any serious cross country riding.

Size-wise the best thing to look for is the european sizing as it's more accurate. If you have standard mountain bike size wheels it'll read something like 50-559 (that's tyre width then wheel diameter in mm). The diameter must match but you've got a bit more flexibility with the tyre width.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Yes, those should do fine as long as you don't want to do any serious cross country riding.

Size-wise the best thing to look for is the european sizing as it's more accurate. If you have standard mountain bike size wheels it'll read something like 50-559 (that's tyre width then wheel diameter in mm). The diameter must match but you've got a bit more flexibility with the tyre width.
Great thanks! :smile: With free delivery over £15 that's a bit of a bargain. :smile:
Defo no serious country riding, if I do then that'll be another bike as don't think this one would be right for it. Pleasure and commute only.. on the trail I pictured and tarmac only. :smile: not too many trails either.

Also thanks for the advice on the rim size etc.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You might find this worth a look: LINK. It's a guide to tyres published by Schwalbe that has almost everything you could want to know including all the available sizes and what tyre will fit what rim. Quite useful to refer to.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
@Rickshaw Phil the size is:
47-559 26 x 1.75

so looking at that there is the size of 700 x 47 ??

does that sound right? so size of tyre is either 700 x 47 or 26 x 1.75 depending how measured.

Ok.. have bought the same tires you suggested - Continental Tour Ride :smile: as the others were not quite right size.. I won't know my bike once I've changed tires, tubes, chain and given gears and overhaul! :smile:

My OH is telling me he's bringing my bike home to do the repairs with me though as he can elevate the bike.. I'm not complaining! :laugh: I'll be happy to watch and learn and have a go!

Last edited:
Top Bottom