£20 purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
That doesn't sound like fun, being thrown. Can understand from the horse's point of view I guess.

I know a few people who live on the outskirts. Visited a couple of times, but knew it wasn't for me.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
That doesn't sound like fun, being thrown. Can understand from the horse's point of view I guess.

I know a few people who live on the outskirts. Visited a couple of times, but knew it wasn't for me.

He didn't mean it bless him, we turned a corner and the wind his arse, and spooked him; so he kind of bolted / bucked on the spot and I came off. He's a good lad mostly and stood still while I got up and mounted again so I did forgive him.. but kept him 'in hand' more on the way back - ending on a good note is what its about. :smile:

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
@bpsmith have you seen anything locally for bike events? Just wondering whether to set myself a goal for next year - or think about one. Would keep me going over winter and while back in Uni. :smile:
Not sure what is on locally though, wouldn't fit into a bike club yet but know there are a few around so thought maybe there would be some mid distance rides? any idea or have you done any?

bpsmith

Veteran
There's the Gower Bike Ride for the BHF that takes place every Summer. There are 3 different distances, but it has already been this year.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/bike-rides/event-information/south-wales-bike-ride.aspx

There are also a few other things through the year that are more in depth. Tredz do an event, as do Wiggle iirc, but again these have passed now. I have not done the Tredz or Wiggle events, but did do the Gower one this year. There were 5 of us from work and we casually did the middle distance, as we had a mixed group.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
There's the Gower Bike Ride for the BHF that takes place every Summer. There are 3 different distances, but it has already been this year.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/bike-rides/event-information/south-wales-bike-ride.aspx

There are also a few other things through the year that are more in depth. Tredz do an event, as do Wiggle iirc, but again these have passed now. I have not done the Tredz or Wiggle events, but did do the Gower one this year. There were 5 of us from work and we casually did the middle distance, as we had a mixed group.
Sounds good - defo aiming for next year! lol I will need a better bike if I carry on - this really was just a pit stop to see how I got on. I really enjoyed today so thinking this might just carry on! lol

bpsmith

Veteran
The lower mileage Gower Ride is fairly flat aside from Carmarthen Road from Swansea to Fforestfach. Then it's downhill or relatively flat until the end. Middle distance has a few quite tidy hills in it though.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
The lower mileage Gower Ride is fairly flat aside from Carmarthen Road from Swansea to Fforestfach. Then it's downhill or relatively flat until the end. Middle distance has a few quite tidy hills in it though.
Will be sure to work on hills even if aim for lower miles. See how things go. Living on a hill is a big incentive and commute to Burryport train station involves a hill in the cycle track. No avoiding them!

bpsmith

Veteran
Will be sure to work on hills even if aim for lower miles. See how things go. Living on a hill is a big incentive and commute to Burryport train station involves a hill in the cycle track. No avoiding them!
No sense in avoiding. Just aim for the smaller ones first as last.

Silverfox885

I think we need to see some pics of the horse as well. I'm also a horse rider turned cyclist; due to a long term lame horse and me missing my exercise.

My avatar is Django, my rather special horse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
I think we need to see some pics of the horse as well. I'm also a horse rider turned cyclist; due to a long term lame horse and me missing my exercise.

My avatar is Django, my rather special horse.
What a very cool name Django has! What breed is he? did you ride western or english? I converted to western last year and love it!
I ride Thunder (full name Thunderhead) who's a new forest pony but actually gets mistaken for a quarter horse even by breeders which makes me laugh due to the fact I bought him for £120 as an untamed colt - He is 8 now and stands around the 14.2 mark :smile: He's my best friend and truly a lovely natured - though often a herd leader - boy.

Thunderearsintheforest29414_zpse59e5103.jpg

Trail riding (hacking) after the storms
ThunderandCaspian13814_zps9b753edb.jpg

Showing his tender side.. taking a foal under his wing - who could be mistaken as being his (he was gelded a long time ago so def not).

Thunder7514addingBertietothefrontfield_zps75806a9e.jpg

Showing his strong side after charging around the field with a new horse in the mix

Thunder13414_zpsc67d9351.jpg

and looking stunning (I might be biased but I don't care) on a trail ride with friends.

oh.. and we have a little one too ;) I'll save him for another day. lol

Silverfox885

Stunning little horse.
I started Django Western then converted to English when I found out he could jump like a stag. Unfortunately he went lame last year and after more than 3k in vets bills they couldn't find out what was wrong so he's having another winter off work. So it's on my bike this winter and see how he is next spring.
He's a Selle Francais and I rescued him from a French fattening farm 7 years ago. I paid 1.5 euros per kilo meat price for him as a yearling, so a damn sight cheaper than my new bike but a lot more dangerous.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Stunning little horse.
I started Django Western then converted to English when I found out he could jump like a stag. Unfortunately he went lame last year and after more than 3k in vets bills they couldn't find out what was wrong so he's having another winter off work. So it's on my bike this winter and see how he is next spring.
He's a Selle Francais and I rescued him from a French fattening farm 7 years ago. I paid 1.5 euros per kilo meat price for him as a yearling, so a damn sight cheaper than my new bike but a lot more dangerous.
What a lovely story behind his coming to you! A lot of the new forest ponies end up with the meat man unfortunately. :sad: I don't think people realise how common it is, and the ones who over breed are by far to blame but that is another soapbox for another day. lol

I hope Django comes right for you. Such a tricky situation. A friend lost her mare to continued lamness (after chipping a bone competing in cross country jumping), she clocked up 4k in bills but lack of quality of life lead to her being PTS after 3 years of trying to get things right. She was truly a best friend to thunder as we rode together a lot and she was a very experienced mare. Still miss her, and my friend does too.

Thunder does jump but tolerates it would be more the word.. so western for us is great, we do a lot of trail riding and for fun stuff we do a bit of barrels in the school though we could use a bigger menage, we also enjoy the school based trail riding / poles etc. I think he really enjoys the switch too bless him. I like natural horsemanship style of training and Buck Brannaman is truly amazing to watch. I was thrilled recently that thunder sided up to a wall for me automatically to mount in a tricky place. So our work together is definitely paying off.

Top Bottom