£20 purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
oh now that is nice! :smile: have you stripped it down and painted it yourself or is that the original paintwork?

I was watching a 'retro' Raleigh on ebay but it's a bit too far away but I would love a retro bike one day as I'm a bit of a rockabilly who loves vintage stuff. ;)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A Fruit Salad bike! I named mine (a close relative of yours, I suspect :laugh:) Maurine ... ohh, she's cheap, she wasn't but, a tenner more than yours!
Happy riding @Batgirl, watch the rims on the wet, I almost fell into the canal after it had started raining. See if you can cannibalize another old bike with alloy rims, much better for braking.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
A Fruit Salad bike! I named mine (a close relative of yours, I suspect :laugh:) Maurine ... ohh, she's cheap, she wasn't but, a tenner more than yours!
Happy riding @Batgirl, watch the rims on the wet, I almost fell into the canal after it had started raining. See if you can cannibalize another old bike with alloy rims, much better for braking.

Will have a look around and see what I can come up with locally. :blush: yikes at the canal near miss! not good. It's raining today.. we get a lot of it here! lol

Maurine is a great name! :thumbsup:

Kool Stop Continental brake pads - salmon colour..............:thumbsup:

£4 for 2
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s104p1591

john
born in LLanharan
lived in Talybont-on-Usk, BRECON for 2 years at my parents cottage after they passed away
a great part of the country

Thanks for the link! bargain price might be worth a go - will they help enough with the rims - while I look for others?

I love Wales, we've been here 7 years now - on the coast up from Swansea (rural location) - really do love it. Kids go body boarding in the warmer weather, I have horses too so we go riding in the forestry and beaches if we're up for a fast ride. :wub: Sorry to read about your parents though, lost mine young too.

Chris S

Legendary Member
oh now that is nice! :smile: have you stripped it down and painted it yourself or is that the original paintwork?

I was watching a 'retro' Raleigh on ebay but it's a bit too far away but I would love a retro bike one day as I'm a bit of a rockabilly who loves vintage stuff. ;)
It's the original paintwork, unfortunatley it looks better in the photo.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Well test rides happened today! OH rode it first to make sure it as safe (I think he likes the colours..). :laugh:
Slow punctures in inner tubes I think but mainly front. Will replace them both just in case.

Other than that the gears are a bit stiff, so need a bit more working in.

I rode for the first time in 22 years! lol
it's true what they say about never forgetting how to ride a bike.. and my horse riding helped as OH laughed at my 'fixed focus' on where I was going despite wobbly starts I got there.

So, work for now is to get used to getting on / off and starting without any nerves or wobbles.

But.. I didn't fall off or crash and enjoyed!:cycle:

bpsmith

Veteran
I'm over the 'bridge' just near Burry Port (other side of Llanelli). :smile:
Loughor for me, in case you hadn't realised by my 'bridge' focus. Lol.

Most of my rides head that way, rather than towards Swansea. Loads of great roads, not to mention the coastal path trumps the Mumbles.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Loughor for me, in case you hadn't realised by my 'bridge' focus. Lol.

Most of my rides head that way, rather than towards Swansea. Loads of great roads, not to mention the coastal path trumps the Mumbles.
haha I figured the bridge would mean Lougher to you ;) I'm not a local but know there is a standing joke about it. :smile:
Maybe when I've got my distance up a bit we could arrange a ride along the coastal path or something - I am about half a mile uphill from the cycle track so that is one of the big draws in my getting back on a bike. I want to get to the train station for commuting by bike and also ideally to my horse at Pembrey. At the moment that distance sounds a lot but I know by you all talking about mileage it'll soon come. I'll be walking the slopes I think at first! :shy:

Great to know another local!

bpsmith

Veteran
You're the 'wrong side' of the bridge. Lol.

You'll soon get up to speed and the distance will soon come too. The hills are hard to start off, but the only way to master them is not to get off.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
You're the 'wrong side' of the bridge. Lol.

You'll soon get up to speed and the distance will soon come too. The hills are hard to start off, but the only way to master them is not to get off.
haha yeah I guess maybe trying to go slow will help with them but depends how much I wobble.. lol There is a slope that isn't as steep that goes from the Pavillion towards north dock so that would be doable. I'm keeping the bike at Pembrey just now though so will be heading onto the cycle track from Pembrey Country Park, have the option of the park of course too. :smile: be nice to discover it all in time.

The section of coastal path I want / need to travel regularly has a hill by the earth sculpture if you know it? the land looks like a seashell? just between Pwll and Burry Port. So that will be great when I can ride that.

haha at the 'wrong side' I grew up in London, had enough of city life from then. :laugh:

bpsmith

Veteran
haha yeah I guess maybe trying to go slow will help with them but depends how much I wobble.. lol There is a slope that isn't as steep that goes from the Pavillion towards north dock so that would be doable. I'm keeping the bike at Pembrey just now though so will be heading onto the cycle track from Pembrey Country Park, have the option of the park of course too. :smile: be nice to discover it all in time.

The section of coastal path I want / need to travel regularly has a hill by the earth sculpture if you know it? the land looks like a seashell? just between Pwll and Burry Port. So that will be great when I can ride that.

haha at the 'wrong side' I grew up in London, had enough of city life from then. :laugh:

There are plenty of ups and downs on the coastal path to get you started. Pembrey Park is tidy too, but the road in to it is always mega windy. You'll soon have forgotten about wobbling about and be tackling the climbs. :smile:

London is worlds apart compared to Swansea!

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
There are plenty of ups and downs on the coastal path to get you started. Pembrey Park is tidy too, but the road in to it is always mega windy. You'll soon have forgotten about wobbling about and be tackling the climbs. :smile:

London is worlds apart compared to Swansea!

Will try and embrace them.. and forget the bikes whizzing past me.. do they do L plates for cyclists?

Yeah the approach road to Pembrey is VERY windy at times, I ride / keep my horse there, so have to negotiate the wind, stupidly got thrown around March time when we had those really high winds.. I'd got so used to them I forgot my horse wouldn't like the forest in the wind. :tongue: I rode him home but it was a bit more eventful of a ride than I'd planned.

Must admit I wouldn't live in London again, I left in the late 80's and no going back. I love the quiet life now I must admit, only head to Swansea for shopping with my teen sometimes.

Top Bottom