£200 wheel budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zer07

To the appearance.....unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get out on them properly due to family commitments. A quick ride up the close to make sure gearing is working correctly and I can immediately feel a difference to how the bike feels. I will report back once I've done some miles on them.

Wow they match great

Your colour matching certainly makes a difference to the appearance of the bike. I suspect you will enjoy them.

Thanks, yeah, I think so too.

Look great on the bike @zer07

Thanks. All I got to do now is ride :bicycle:.....itchin..... ^_^

Last edited:

zer07

OK, I've taken the bike out for a spin and first impressions.....wow, they certainly make the bike feel different.

So, this'll be a brief bullet point review as I'm no expert on wheels, I have however ridden a reasonable amount over the past year to year and a half (roughly 5000 miles), so have some saddle time to get a feel for this. The wheels were fitted to a Specialized Allez Sport 2013 model and its running all stock parts with some added aero bars.

Initial thoughts;
  • Power feels like it gets put down onto the tarmac more quickly.
  • Acceleration feels sharper and stronger.
  • Climbing feels easier to maintain.
  • I could stay longer out of the saddle whilst accelerating and/or climbing.
  • Road vibration is more prominent, but not uncomfortable.
  • Handling feels more "connected" to the road.
  • Once up to speed, spinning doesn't feel that different from the AXIS wheels.
  • I didn't feel any problem with crosswinds, however it wasn't a breezy evening last night so too early to say.
It'll be interesting to see if my times change when I do my usual commute. Anyway, I said it would be brief, but it should give those who are interested in these wheels some pointers. Bear in mind that I'm sure the same could be said for any other pair of wheels in the same price bracket (fulcrums, shimano's etc), this is just my take on these particular ones. Put it this way, I'm very happy that I bought them.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Exactly what i found with mine :smile: they wore in over a few rides though and they rolled really well on the flat afterwards they do transfer more feeling from the road but thats the payoff for stiffer wheels :smile:

gmw492

Veteran
@zer07 did you use the spacer provided for the cassette,fitted mine yesterday to my 9 speed and it said to fit spacer but it does look slightly over and got a bit of chain rub on front mech when I'm the low back and high front,tried the adjustment screws but still slight ,wondering whether to try it without the spacer :wacko:

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Try adjusting your front mech from scratch could aslo be a table tension issue, but make sure you are not cross chaining, quite oftne you need to do little tweeks with new wheels

zer07

@zer07 did you use the spacer provided for the cassette,fitted mine yesterday to my 9 speed and it said to fit spacer but it does look slightly over and got a bit of chain rub on front mech when I'm the low back and high front,tried the adjustment screws but still slight ,wondering whether to try it without the spacer :wacko:

I used the spacer and all the other cassette rings fitted fine. Didn't even have to re-index the gearing, My only problem is that I dont have the right tools so had to get a mate to help.

gmw492

Veteran
Try adjusting your front mech from scratch could aslo be a table tension issue, but make sure you are not cross chaining, quite oftne you need to do little tweeks with new wheels
Yeh think I will try that ,I will position the mech and check cables and adjustments

gmw492

Veteran
I used the spacer and all the other cassette rings fitted fine. Didn't even have to re-index the gearing, My only problem is that I dont have the right tools so had to get a mate to help.
Ok will check again ,my spacer is on it's just the front mech ,few tweaks I didn't have much time when I fitted them on will look at it more

MrDaveCee

Regular
If it is a table tension issue then I'd just take the table off the bike full stop, they're not worth the extra climbing weight.
:becool:

Top Bottom