£22,000 bike at Harrods inside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I take your point..."dont knock it till you tried it"

(very graciously made by the way)

but it still defies logic..if you are riding a bike expending energy and working up a sweat, how hard is it to turn a gear or push a changer.

If smoothness is the objective.... I've seen (even with my limited experience) smoother suggestions with "off the shelf" belt driven bikes with hub systems.

Actually now I come to think about it, if smoothness is the objective you could buy a second hand Roller for less!:tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj2 said:
7.4kg!;):smile: that's only a couple of 100g lighter than my bike! which was about a tenth the price

Presumably the price/weight saving ratio is expontential. So to save a couple of kilos, you pay say double, but then to save the next half kilo, you pay four times and then for 100g it's 8 times more etc....

By the time you're saving a gramme, you're paying a couple of grand more per gramme.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Tried out the Trek Madone 6 briefly- which had the electronic shifting system on it. Very odd, smooth though but felt slightly alien to the bike imho.

I agree top end bikes cost £7k, you can get a custom bike etc - you can get an assessment/fitting max at £250 and a power reading from a good cycle computer -this just seems pointless expenditure to me.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Auntie Helen said:
the accessories say, "my goodness, you're a handsome-looking bicycle..."
Actually, for £22k I hope they tell the rider how handsome and toned they look!

Will1985

Über Member
This is such an old story - we first heard about it at the beginning of the year. It's made down the road from me in Diss but I haven't yet asked them about a job. There are so many things wrong about that bike that they probably wouldn't want criticism. Total waste of money.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
BigSteev said:
Just out of interest, have either of you tried a bike with Shimano's Di2 gears?

No I haven't... I've no doubt that they're very good, however certainly not £22k good.

My point was / is that derailleur and chain has been around forever... I wouldn't say that was particularly advanced.

There have also been other bikes that have integrated lights.

I really can't see where the 'other' £15k has been spent on this bike.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Ben Lovejoy said:
The point of the electric gears is that they automatically retension after every gear-change, so should never slip or need adjustment. Not that I'd pay the £1600 price, but they are not quite as frivilous as they appear.

What a pain in the arse to keep the battery charged up, or is there a dynamo? A load of excess weight if you ask me, and not very practical.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
[quote name='swee'pea99']Come on...it's only $9,500 - can't be much cop at that price.[/QUOTE]

That's for the frame, forks and ceramic bearing for the headset... I suspect the other components pictured are rather pricey too :biggrin:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Watt-O said:
What a pain in the arse to keep the battery charged up, or is there a dynamo?
I think the batteries are good for something like 7000 gear changes. So that would last a London cyclist a good few years, or a Cornish cyclist about three days ...

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Ben Lovejoy said:
I think the batteries are good for something like 7000 gear changes. So that would last a London cyclist a good few years, or a Cornish cyclist about three days ...

7,000 gear changes, I don't believe it!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom