£25 to look out of the window!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
It's the wondering about the people in the land far below and what the'yre doing, whether they're already up for work or still asleep and enjoying life or having a shitty miserable time. I'm a nosy bugger :biggrin:

One of my favourite landings was into Istanbul and I loved flying over Russia from Singapore very early in the morning, might have been around 5am their time and the view over Canada when on my way to America.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
You cant even see the shard from up there :biggrin:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This was during the day, but yes, I like flying at night too. There you are, flying over a sea of inky blackness interspersed by islands of light, sometimes complete with a 'causeway' to another. You look down and you see banks of lights glinting and blinking at you, like jewels and gemstones, all different colours. It looks all pretty and you think that that is it, but then you see some of the lights moving, like little creatures, as though you are looking at them through a microscope, and for a short while at least, everything seems ok with the world.

I just sleep through it all :smile:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Just watched the opening ceremony on Sky News, so amazingly underwhelming - just changing colour lights and some laser lights. When the orhestra track finished there was an awkward pause before half arsed clapping and sniggering from the crowd though, which made me laugh :smile:

Should be here soon http://the-shard.com/inauguration/ if anyone wants to be underwhelmed for 10 minutes. :whistle:

Berties

Fast and careful!
Weymouth have just opened the pier observation tower and That's £8 a pop for a view over the bay

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
There is a free way to get a higher view right now...google earth!

I went up the Seers tower in Chicago, it's a great view, can't remember how much it was as Mr Toyota was paying but seeing new landmarks is different from seeing landmarks you know, even from above.

I wouldn't pay it, £75 for a family of 3? No effing chance!

al78

Guru
£25 sounds expensive but on the other hand it costs £22 to go on the rooftop walkway on the O2 arena, which is considerably lower and likely a less spectacular view than from the Shard.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I like that arch thingie they built at wembley stadium. It's so.... spectacular. This shardfest is... mighty impressive too. I'm sure plenty of donuts will visit.

Say, has the BT Tower opened up again?

OP
OP
perplexed

perplexed

Guru
That sounds like when I flew back from Vienna in December minus the cockpit bit. Whatever flight path we took we came from the east, up along the Thames, over Canary Wharf, the City, west London and down into Gatwick. It was about half nine at night, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was the most wonderful sight I've ever seen, everything all lit up and twinkling away.

Yeah, we've come in on that path, it's a great view!

Top Bottom