£300000 per week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I am sure he doesn't pay tax under PAYE and has an office full of accountants making sure he pays as little tax as possible.
As an employee of a UK company he has to pay PAYE on his earnings via that company. He will have accountants doing other things for his outside interests such as sponsorships and image rights.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I am sure he doesn't pay tax under PAYE and has an office full of accountants making sure he pays as little tax as possible.

No doubt he does - what's your point?

He'll still pay an awful lot of tax and despite what anyone thinks about tax loopholes etc high earners do not really get away with much - despite the odd sensationalist media story. £300k a week tax liability plus whatever other tax liability he generates would take an awful lot of 'losing' legally.

Maybe WR should receive some praise from the whingers on here for actually shifting some (substantial) private sector money back into the public sector purse?

For the life of me I cannot imagine any detractor on this forum, or any other for that matter, who had a son who found himself in the same position as WR at say 17/18/19 years of age advising him not to accept a whopping great deal as he "is only kicking an inflated bag of wind" around a pitch whilst "stupid" people look on and that maybe because he is a "thick, knuckle-dragger" (I'm not saying he is thick btw) he should recognise his place in society ie bottom of the stack and just ask for a tad more than the minimum wage and live happily ever after.

Seriously - that's never going to happen is it.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
As an employee of a UK company he has to pay PAYE on his earnings via that company. He will have accountants doing other things for his outside interests such as sponsorships and image rights.
Is he ? or is he an employee of his own company which hires out his services for which the WR Ltd recieves £300k ?

ASC1951

Guru
Is he ? or is he an employee of his own company which hires out his services for which the WR Ltd recieves £300k ?
.. and on which his company, if he had one, would pay corporation tax. And as soon as he took any of the net profit out, he would be personally taxed on that. People seem to think that operating a personal services company is some way of magicking income away. It isn't.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
see post no 40 re. Tevez.
A UK employee pays UK PAYE. he isnt free lance, he only works for Man Utd.
Do you think HMRC wouldnt be hot on these individuals. See examples from Jimmy Carr and

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yeah, I do think it's ludicrous. I wouldn't pay any athlete that much!

However, it's his money, he can do with it what he likes (and who knows what he is doing with it btw). Another thing: it's always easy to say what to do with other peoples' money. If I had that much money I'd think I'd certainly do more good -problem is I've never been in that situation so all I can do is think I'd do that.

Personally I prefer the approach of contributing as little as possible to whatever paid sports there is (e.g. not buying overpriced tickets, not buying expensive sports replica jerseys, not subscribing to sports channels on tv, etc). If everyone did that, they wouldn't be paid as much.

Top Bottom