£5 to use the M6 toll.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I used it once when it was cheaper but I came off at a midway point and felt I'd been striped up.

Davidc

Guru
Why not tolls on all main roads, priced according to weight (to reflect road damage)?

Make them big enough to start reinstating the railways.

ASC1951

Guru
Suggestions? £5 to use the M6?
No. Deal with it the same way that low-cost airlines use market forces. Their first seats are the cheapest and the last are the most expensive.

Have a toll which varies within a wide band. Traffic density is monitored automatically and the toll drops when the M6 gets too full. Set the toll every 15 minutes, say, and display it far enough upstream for people to choose.

It's actually quite straightforward to do.

Davidc

Guru
Surely you'd want to raise the toll when the M6 got too full?

ASC1951 said:
No. Deal with it the same way that low-cost airlines use market forces. Their first seats are the cheapest and the last are the most expensive.

Have a toll which varies within a wide band. Traffic density is monitored automatically and the toll drops when the M6 gets too full. Set the toll every 15 minutes, say, and display it far enough upstream for people to choose.

It's actually quite straightforward to do.

But the M6 Toll is run as a business, and no business drops its prices when demand is at its peak.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I always use it when heading to the south/south east, (not much help if you are going south west) money well spent, it's similar to the French Auto Route system, there are two options, one is free one isn't, you pay for the quicker option, makes sense to me.

forty-two

No contest. Always use it when going North of South. The opportunity of stress free driving in the middle of the trip is worth the cost.

ASC1951

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
But the M6 Toll is run as a business, and no business drops its prices when demand is at its peak.
Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer. I was just following the OP's terminology i.e. the original motorway = "the M6" and the new road = "the M6 Toll".

So, decide what levels of traffic you want on the two routes and drop the toll whenever you need the toll road busier.

Top Bottom