£500 budget... what to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt1705

Über Member
I'm looking at getting a road bike to replace my heavy MTB for my commute, and have set a max budget of about £500.
I had thought of buying a Triban 3 ages ago, are the triban range bikes still as good?
Also I've been looking at the Merlin PR7, which seems a good price...

thoughts and advice please, and any other bikes I haven't mentioned, there seems to be far too much choice!

13 rider

Guru
Don't forget halfords Careers range good value for the money . but as a 13 owner their basic road bike is just in your price range also from halfords would be my choice

OP
OP
M

Matt1705

Über Member
I had thought of Halfords, but they didn't seem to have a very good reputation, especially for service. Although they are local to me... what's the ride like? I think a more relaxed geometry would suit me...

13 rider

Guru
Yes halfords have a bad rep on here but my experience has been fine but is does vary shop to shop .worth a visit and look and get a feel about the staff as its them that make it good or bad not the brand. I have a 13 hybrid that I love but can't comment on the road bike except I think they look cool . A guy also from Leicester has just bought a more expensive 13 road bike might be worth searching threads for 13 to get his opinion

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's local go test ride. You can't buy trek online, click and collect only

But the Giants are better spec and more relaxed geometry

OP
OP
M

Matt1705

Über Member
Might pop in to their store next time I'm over that way with work if I haven't decided on something else or my head has exploded!! :banghead:

Top Bottom