£700 on a Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
Even with 20% off that Boardman is still 166 quid more than last year's Felt F95 with a very similar specification at Wiggle or Winstanley's or the Triban 500 at much the same.
Much as I like Boardman's smooth welding, it's not worth that !
Yes that is great value.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-sora-wiggle-exclusive/

OP
OP
September

September

Right, I've had a look at all the bikes recommended. Many of them, I can't see the major benefit of spending an extra £200-300 over the Triban (particularly the Boardman, even after all that discount).

I'll do some more quick research when I get back from my hols, in case there are some 2014 bikes at a great price as recommended by @helston90 . In the meantime, I've narrowed it down to two options:

The Triban with these wheels (although, I'm not really sure why yet but I'll do some more reading shortly).
imho buy the triban 500 and get a set of r501 wheels for £70 from ribble .

And the Felt F95.

I think I prefer the Felt, for two reasons:

1. More of the chainset components are SORA and not subbed out with another manufacture.
2. It's a KG lighter, which would be nice.

The downside to the Felt is that it doesn't have a lifetime warranty like the Triban, but I can live with that...

Does anyone have any thoughts on my final two options? I'd be interested to know the weak points of the Felt that I may not have thought of yet.

Also, Is it possible to buy the Felt from anywhere else other than Wiggle? I'd rather a different colour if I can...

Thanks all - fantastic replies - it's really appreciated.

KennaughKickIt

Both those Felts look like bargains. I'm in a similar position and think I'll plug for the Triban 500. I live in an area with lots of flats and mountains (which come with descents) so the extra gears appeal more, plus the lifetime warranty. I'm holding off for a couple of weeks though so it'd be great to hear what you eventually go for and how it rides!

RebornBumbler

Amazing deal, I reckon!

On mine I've replaced the 11-25 Sunrace cassette and chain (with Shimano Tiagra 12-27 and a KMC), the bar tape (mainly because it was white) and the (dreadful) saddle.

Longer review of sorts here: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/felt-f95-2013.157232/

Since then I've smashed all my previous best speeds and longest distances on a regular basis (~130km last Sunday morning)
It might be a bit twitchy/racy for some.

360 quid eh? Blimey! :smile:

OP
OP
September

September

Both those Felts look like bargains. I'm in a similar position and think I'll plug for the Triban 500. I live in an area with lots of flats and mountains (which come with descents) so the extra gears appeal more, plus the lifetime warranty. I'm holding off for a couple of weeks though so it'd be great to hear what you eventually go for and how it rides!
I didn't spot that it was a 9 speed! Holy moly... On my 21 speed MTB, I only use the last 7 gears... Are 9 speeds generally geared a little harder?...

Have you seen this F95 on Merlin Cycles for only £360? (40% off) Just to make your life a bit more complicated- Merlin are on TCB as well.
Haha that's a cracking price. Tempted to buy pre-holiday, I must admit...

OP
OP
September

September

Amazing deal, I reckon!

On mine I've replaced the 11-25 Sunrace cassette and chain (with Shimano Tiagra 12-27 and a KMC), the bar tape (mainly because it was white) and the (dreadful) saddle.

Longer review of sorts here: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/felt-f95-2013.157232/

Since then I've smashed all my previous best speeds and longest distances on a regular basis (~130km last Sunday morning)
It might be a bit twitchy/racy for some.

360 quid eh? Blimey! :smile:
interesting!

Why did you change the gears?...

OP
OP
September

September

Haha I figured it was hill related. Just read your whole thread and that was the push I needed... it's got to be the 95 now, I feel....

Little worried about the gearing TBH, but if its a £30 fix I think it's worth a shot...

Top Bottom