£700 on a Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Am sorely tempted by the Felt but don't know anything about them - are they decent?

Also, if I wanted to upgrade the groupset at some point in the future is that bike future proof for something like 105? What's that likely to set me back?

If I buy it I'll probably end up divorced. Not that I need another good reason. :laugh:

uclown2002

Guru
Am sorely tempted by the Felt but don't know anything about them - are they decent?

Also, if I wanted to upgrade the groupset at some point in the future is that bike future proof for something like 105? What's that likely to set me back?

If I buy it I'll probably end up divorced. Not that I need another good reason. :laugh:
Yes
Yes
~£300 for complete 105 groupset

Paulq

Good questions ^^

For anyone interested, I came across a cracking review of the Triban on road.cc earlier: http://road.cc/content/review/116333-btwin-triban-500-se-road-bike

Really paints a solid and honest picture about the bike.

Thanks. I have previously been (very) guilty of rushing in and buying 'bargains' which, well, turned out not to be bargains after all. The Felt looks a lovely bike and a really attractive offer but I am concerned about the componentry. If the bike will cost me £400, plus £80 for a decent saddle plus £300 to upgrade it to 105 plus plus then very quickly it looks like a lesser bargain.

Just to calibrate, and apologies to the OP for somewhat derailing the thread but is there a, say, decent Shimano 105 spec'd bike for the same money ish? What's the cheapest/best bike you can get with 105 on?

I think I'd rather explore that option and spend up front knowing what I'd get rather than paying less then being disappointed.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I have previously been (very) guilty of rushing in and buying 'bargains' which, well, turned out not to be bargains after all. The Felt looks a lovely bike and a really attractive offer but I am concerned about the componentry. If the bike will cost me £400, plus £80 for a decent saddle plus £300 to upgrade it to 105 plus plus then very quickly it looks like a lesser bargain.

Just to calibrate, and apologies to the OP for somewhat derailing the thread but is there a, say, decent Shimano 105 spec'd bike for the same money ish? What's the cheapest/best bike you can get with 105 on?

I think I'd rather explore that option and spend up front knowing what I'd get rather than paying less then being disappointed.

Cheers. :thumbsup:
http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-defy-1-2013-white

KennaughKickIt

Good questions ^^

For anyone interested, I came across a cracking review of the Triban on road.cc earlier: http://road.cc/content/review/116333-btwin-triban-500-se-road-bike

Really paints a solid and honest picture about the bike.

Great review from a guy who sadly passed away earlier this year. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this bike but the only thing stopping me is the sizing. My recommended size is 58 but at over 6ft 1 I'm worried the 57 is going to be a little too small. Live no where near a bike shop let alone a decathlon so can't test this size, anyone got any advice?

OP
OP
September

September

Great review from a guy who sadly passed away earlier this year. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this bike but the only thing stopping me is the sizing. My recommended size is 58 but at over 6ft 1 I'm worried the 57 is going to be a little too small. Live no where near a bike shop let alone a decathlon so can't test this size, anyone got any advice?
For what it's worth, I am 6' 1" and when in Decathlon, they measured me up for a 61...

KennaughKickIt

For what it's worth, I am 6' 1" and when in Decathlon, they measured me up for a 61...

Cheers, I guess the 'short frame geometry' they claim might mean something, maybe I'll plug for the 60. What did the bike feel like? And what are your leg measurements if you don't mind me asking? I promise that's as personal as I'll get.

OP
OP
September

September

Cheers, I guess the 'short frame geometry' they claim might mean something, maybe I'll plug for the 60. What did the bike feel like? And what are your leg measurements if you don't mind me asking? I promise that's as personal as I'll get.
If I'm honest, it felt like it would take some getting used to. I felt stretched - but at the same time, I was sitting on it for 30 seconds... Also, I currently own a large (24") MTB and I still feel too low at its highest seat setting.

I'm going back to Decathlon at the weekend for another test-ride.... I'll give a more accurate response then.

As for my inside leg - I've just measured for you - 37" - I do have disproportional legs though...

If you want any other measurements or pics, drop me a PM. ;) LOL

KennaughKickIt

If I'm honest, it felt like it would take some getting used to. I felt stretched - but at the same time, I was sitting on it for 30 seconds... Also, I currently own a large (24") MTB and I still feel too low at its highest seat setting.

I'm going back to Decathlon at the weekend for another test-ride.... I'll give a more accurate response then.

As for my inside leg - I've just measured for you - 37" - I do have disproportional legs though...

If you want any other measurements or pics, drop me a PM. ;) LOL

Haha, wow, 37" inside leg? Did they not measure that when they sized you up for the bike? Be good to hear how the tests go.

We'll leave the shaft//tube measurements for the weekend.

OP
OP
September

September

Yeah man, I'm like a flippin spider. Been called lanky my whole adult life haha.

37" did surprise me too, so I double measured. Same both times. Had my heel on the tip of the tape measure and pulled the other end up to the end of my inside leg... Not sure if that's how you're supposed to do it, but that's what I did haha.

Paulq

Top Bottom