£800-£1250 Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diz

After starting cycling this year with a cheap Raleigh Pursuit the bug has caught me and I will be looking to get a bike that will last longer and help my rides feel easier.

I bought the cheap version as I didn't know how my knee would last out and how I would personally find it. I have exceeded over 1500 miles on it since May. It has lasted London-Brighton, London - Cambridge and My last ride I am planning on it is the London 100 Bikeathon.

Next year I am doing London Paris so I thought I would treat myself. One problem with the bike I have at the moment is climbing as 2 sets of 7 just don't seem enough on any larger climbs, It gets me there but a few more gears would be ideal.

Ideally I would like to go towards the cheaper range of my budget but I really want to get the most from my money and a reliable bike that will last all the training and events I have planned next year.

Any help would be most grateful :smile:

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
If its a road bike you , then the cube peloton race. It's £999, has full Shimano 105 geari g( with no stock parts mixed in ) , magic Aksum wheels and rides great. I got mine in January, and many others have done so since on partially my recomendation. I have recently upgraded tyres and break pads as I have been able to really push my cyling on the bike. I am 15 stone, and still manage cat 3/4 hills on the bike as the lower gears are really climbing friendly.

Reactions: Diz

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant Defy 1, £700 for 2014 model at the mo

Do you need to carry stuff on the bike for the Paris ride, if so a more touring model might work

OP
OP
Diz

Diz

Thanks, I have seen the Cube has had good reviews.

For the London - Paris we will have support so no need for a tourer just for that ride. Off course one thing I would look at is improve original parts on the bike when needed or if finances dictate.

A few people have said a Specialized Roubaix although Specialized seems to be what everybody rides around my area, so would also not like to be a sheep as it were, although if they really are that good I'd get one.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Ive went giant defy 1 from specialized allez, liking the defy after a short ride,2014 model, I paid 800 which was still a good price but obviously 700 is a lot better :smile:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
At the top end of your budget you could get a Cannondale Supersix Evo in the sales. Keep the Raleigh for wet days.

I don't like the looks of the Roubaix, personally as I am not attracted by the bent look the stays have. It does have a good range of gears. If you use a bike a lot in all weathers (which I guess you must from your account above) then you are going to get through a lot of chains and cassettes. 11 speed ones are very expensive, compared to 10s.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Thanks, I have seen the Cube has had good reviews.

For the London - Paris we will have support so no need for a tourer just for that ride. Off course one thing I would look at is improve original parts on the bike when needed or if finances dictate.

A few people have said a Specialized Roubaix although Specialized seems to be what everybody rides around my area, so would also not like to be a sheep as it were, although if they really are that good I'd get one.
I bought a Roubaix back in April.
I am in the process right now of changing the complete groupset to Dura ace 9000.
The reason is that the Sora set that came with it is clunky and the gear spacing leaves a lot to be desired. So I decided to upgrade. 9000 is exceptionally expensive but that's another story.
The SL4 frame however is really comfortable for long rides and it climbs well IMHO.
I have 11sp Ultegra on another bike and that shifts like magic.

vickster

Legendary Member
Specialized too common given the premium price over other comparable bikes IMO. I reckon every third bike I see in london is a specialized!

I am not one qualified to offer advice on value in bikes, as I ride a Bianchi and they are ludicrously over-priced. On the other hand, Diz doesn't seem to fancy riding a Specialized.
When it comes down to it, you have got to love your bike.
Diz, my advice is to wander round bike shops until you see something that takes your fancy; gets the heart racing a little. Then start to do the sums and consider the practicalities. Life is too short to waste it riding a bike you don't love because it was a bit cheaper or had a theoretically superior group-set.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I am not one qualified to offer advice on value in bikes, as I ride a Bianchi and they are ludicrously over-priced. On the other hand, Diz doesn't seem to fancy riding a Specialized.
When it comes down to it, you have got to love your bike.
Diz, my advice is to wander round bike shops until you see something that takes your fancy; gets the heart racing a little. Then start to do the sums and consider the practicalities. Life is too short to waste it riding a bike you don't love because it was a bit cheaper or had a theoretically superior group-set.
I agree with you about taking an instant like to a potential bike, but there is nothing theoretical with the difference in quality/shifting between groupsets.
Even if the higher end ones are over priced.

Top Bottom