£800-£1250 Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

That's a big claim .
My previous bike was a Cube Peloton Race, it was an excellent bike but the Dolan I have now is a different level.

My current Dolan has SRAM Rival v 105 on the Cube, despite taking a few rides to get used to SRAM, I wouldn't want to swap, that said they are both a similar level groupset.

Wheelset the current Dolan comes with Aksiums and I think that's the same as the current Cube?

Weight wise then my old 62cm Cube weighed in at 9.3kg, my current XL framed Dolan comes in at 7.7kg......(fitted now with Zondas so 1/2kg saving)

The Dolan rides better, shifts better, climbs hills better and inspires more confidence.

The Cube is still an excellent bike and I loved it, but at a similar pricemark the Dolan is a no brainer in my opinion.

Jules.

Cyclone1

1k carbon rarely matches 1k alu all round spec wise. Rarely much difference in weight you couldn't make yourself by riding plenty, just a more fragile frame to look after
Louch, read my previous post. I've had both and stand by that the £1k Dolan is a different level to the Cube....

Jules

Cyclone1

Diz,

Right now on value for money and a big step up on your current bike, then the Giant Defy 1 is the best choice. It gets great reviews and is comparable to the Cube Peloton (Cube has slightly better spec) and another you mentioned in the Trek Madone 2.1. But if it can be bought for £700 then that's a great price.

Over the next few weeks the prices of most 2014 model bikes will drop. So if the Cube and Trek (along with any others you fancy) drop to a similar price mark, then your best bet is to test ride them and see which you prefer. I did this on all 3 bikes and ride wise the Trek came out on top, but I also liked the Cube. I then got a good deal on the Cube and loved the looks and spec so went with it. To be honest had I not ridden all three, then I would have been more than happy with any of them had I bought blindly.

Good luck,

Jules

Reactions: Diz

Big Nick

If you fancy a Bianchi then consider the Vertigo, I got mine for £1199 and its a very good bike IMHO and has the more comfortable C2C geometry.

I have the one with the Campagnolo Veloce chain set which I find very smooth and the carbon frame does a nice job at smoothing out the ride.

If you have your eye on the brand now now and don't get one if you're anything like me if you buy something else you'll always be sighing when you see one go past!

OP
OP
Diz

Diz

I have been in the Giant and the trek and opted for the latter. Did a 30 miler before work today and couldn't believe the difference in all aspects. Many thanks to all of you :-)
I paid £900 so lower end of my budget and £300 towards my holidays so I'm happy all round.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 60

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Very nice @Diz , with a white frame, maybe keep some of that £300 for cleaning fluids :smile: Also pedals, shoes, saddle bag, pump and trip computer....then.... and so it goes on

OP
OP
Diz

Diz

Very nice @Diz , with a white frame, maybe keep some of that £300 for cleaning fluids :smile: Also pedals, shoes, saddle bag, pump and trip computer....then.... and so it goes on

I have all of the above apart from trip computer, that'll be the next purchase, Strava on iphone for now.

TomSH27

After starting cycling this year with a cheap Raleigh Pursuit the bug has caught me and I will be looking to get a bike that will last longer and help my rides feel easier.

I bought the cheap version as I didn't know how my knee would last out and how I would personally find it. I have exceeded over 1500 miles on it since May. It has lasted London-Brighton, London - Cambridge and My last ride I am planning on it is the London 100 Bikeathon.

Next year I am doing London Paris so I thought I would treat myself. One problem with the bike I have at the moment is climbing as 2 sets of 7 just don't seem enough on any larger climbs, It gets me there but a few more gears would be ideal.

Ideally I would like to go towards the cheaper range of my budget but I really want to get the most from my money and a reliable bike that will last all the training and events I have planned next year.

Any help would be most grateful :smile:
For long distance you would do well to look at some of the new steel frames, for ride quality you'll struggle to do better. The new Reynolds frames don't suffer too much of a weight penalty and are far superior I think to alloy, I would test ride a Genesis such as the entry level Croix de Fer, you will probably be surprised.

Top Bottom