‘Global Epidemic’ of Childhood Inactivity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
My 4 year old is blitzing park runs. Hopefully ride the Fred Whitton with her when she's 18.
Blame the parents.

classic33

Leg End Member
One word.
Traffic.
We've open ground nearby, that was fields before the park was built. Both were used as play areas, as well as using the river. Now it's considered unsafe.

We used the area when it was being transformed from fields to park. Ruining our play area. The machinery in use we worked around, now I doubt that'd be allowed.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Nobody's wrong here... yes parents are shockingly, astoundingly lazy, both in their habits (driving vs walking) and their parenting (allowing the children to rule the roost because that's the path of least resistance - Let's call that the Drago argument). But yes roads are also worse and traffic / car ownership is higher, and drivers are more distracted than ever before (the Julia argument). It's the perfect storm for bringing up a generation of even lazier, even fatter, even more selfish people.

My daughter is 8, and just like pretty much everyone here I was walking to school unaccompanied at that age Monday to Friday and then playing out on my bike with my mates at all other times.
It's not possible to push your child out of the door now like our parents did in the 70s and 80s and simply say "don't come back until tea". There's a much higher chance now that you as that parent will get a call from hospital, or a knock from the police because they've been hit. What responsible parent wants to increase that risk?
No use saying "teach them", I've taught her, of course. But roads are much, much worse now, every pavement is blocked because of 3 and 4 car houses, there are distracted hassled Mums simultaneously driving Tabitha to school while checking Facebook and putting on makeup. Children don't always concentrate as well as they could. And they (we) never did concentrate all that well when crossing the road by the way, it's just that the chances of being hurt were much lower. Passing cars were rare, and the driver only had his eyes on the road.

All you can do is walk with him / her to school, accompany him / her on the bike, don't be in that selfish lazy percentile. Get him / her out on weekends for walks and treasure trails, bike rides, whatever, and limit electronic / lazy time. I think if you're doing that, you're doing more than 90% of "parents" and that's the best you can do.

I'm sad to say I think it'll all be in vain for the wider society, but at least you've brought up one person who can get off their backside.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Traffic can be a serious problem. My grandchildren cycled the couple of miles to primary school regularly on a cycle track but were supervised crossing the A848 as traffic tends to either be watching the traffic lights at Connel Bridge or gaining speed after leaving the bridge and not really paying attention plus possibly turning right up Bonawe Road. As an experienced cyclist myself this junction is fraught with dangers when turning right on to the A848 so it is understandable that some parents choose to use a car although I think there is a possible bus which passes the school but this does not give exercise.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Traffic can be a serious problem. My grandchildren cycled the couple of miles to primary school regularly on a cycle track but were supervised crossing the A848 as traffic tends to either be watching the traffic lights at Connel Bridge or gaining speed after leaving the bridge and not really paying attention plus possibly turning right up Bonawe Road. As an experienced cyclist myself this junction is fraught with dangers when turning right on to the A848 so it is understandable that some parents choose to use a car although I think there is a possible bus which passes the school but this does not give exercise.

This is a prime case where a bit of infrastructure to get safely past the A848 and it opens up cycling on their own for kids.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is not just about getting out though, it is about how much goes in the mouth, young kids seldom go shopping or get their own food.

icowden

Veteran
I think the schools don't help. When my daughters were at state primary, they did very little exercise, and when they did have pe or games, felt fairly discouraged / sidelined. When they moved to an all girls prep school in year 6, they found themselves doing an hour of fairly intensive exercise 4 out of 5 days (pe / games / dance / swimming) - and by that I mean swimming lengths, playing hockey or netball, cross-country runs etc in a positive atmosphere where everyone joins in and helps each other.

Of course, the amount of time schools spend on things like exercise, music, art etc is driven by the Government who don't regard these things as being important. Strangely private schools think the reverse.

It's more important to know about modal verbs, relative clauses, possessive pronouns etc.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think the schools don't help. When my daughters were at state primary, they did very little exercise, and when they did have pe or games, felt fairly discouraged / sidelined. When they moved to an all girls prep school in year 6, they found themselves doing an hour of fairly intensive exercise 4 out of 5 days (pe / games / dance / swimming) - and by that I mean swimming lengths, playing hockey or netball, cross-country runs etc in a positive atmosphere where everyone joins in and helps each other.

Of course, the amount of time schools spend on things like exercise, music, art etc is driven by the Government who don't regard these things as being important. Strangely private schools think the reverse.

It's more important to know about modal verbs, relative clauses, possessive pronouns etc.

Schools get the kids 30 hours a week the parents get them the other 138 hours, yet people often blame the schools. Also I bet a good proportion of the kids who need help the most will be the one's with a parents note.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My personal view is that there is a mixture of causes. 1.) Technology, often means that kids don't even want to go outside and the never get bored forcing them to do something. 2.) Diet, not of their choosing but because is is actually very difficult not to be eating refined sugars and processed food at every meal 3.) Safety, traffic, health and safety plus fear of the paedo.

I think I do pretty well with my kids, but to be honest it is hard, I cannot just turf them out until dinner time. What did surprise me a couple of days ago was just how unfit teenagers are. I am a scout leader and as part of our work on being healthy we did a bleep test with the kids. Out of 32 kids only one beat me. I have not run properly for quite some time and in my mid 40s and am currently built for comfort more than speed. Some of the kids gave up in less than 100m :surrender:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I don't think anyone has mentioned successive governments' transport and leisure policies.

With the huge majority of transport spending being on infrastructure for cars and lorries, rather than cycling and walking what would you expect?

I want a government that leads on policies that encourage physical activity, and in the meantime I will continue to campaign locally for that. I recommend campaigning if you are frustrated too.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I don't think anyone has mentioned successive governments' transport and leisure policies.

With the huge majority of transport spending being on infrastructure for cars and lorries, rather than cycling and walking what would you expect?

I want a government that leads on policies that encourage physical activity, and in the meantime I will continue to campaign locally for that. I recommend campaigning if you are frustrated too.
Carry on campaining. But get on with doing something positive. Dont expect the goverment or anyone else to do anything.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Carry on campaining. But get on with doing something positive. Dont expect the goverment or anyone else to do anything.

But I do expect local government to do something!

Our campaign and other local groups have had some really positive successes locally with changes to road layouts and getting adults and children back on bikes.

Thank you for your advice; my advice to you is to try some local action.

Top Bottom