‘Global Epidemic’ of Childhood Inactivity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If a child learns at school why is it that only a minority are obese, the reason being is it starts at home, why do obese parents often have obese kids, oh yes it starts at home. Why are there kids out there obese before they even get to school, it starts at home.

You could equally ask, "If a child doesn't learn at school, why do we have schools?" although I take the point.

I agree in principle, as I said, a lot of our current social problems are generational. I'm pointing out that schools do have a massive influence for good or bad: if kids have a good start at home, negative school influences can be mitigated to some extent, but school certainly can't mitigate problems from home.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I do blame a lot of this on parents. I know nowadays you can't "throw" them out of the door and say come back next meal time like we used to be able to do, however the parents have the chances to do things on a weekend with their kids but they choose not to because it's easier to be lazy. I went to a sports mad school and I hated it, because it was not an option, you were expected to do and like sports. I got more sporty after I left when I did things from my own choice. Even though I work all week in a sedentary job, I'll always try and do something on a weekend that's physical when it would be easier to sit with my feet up and have a break and I've encouraged my daughter to do the same.

screenman

Legendary Member
The program I watched was about 100 kilo children, one was admitted into a clinic and put on a strict diet, the mother smuggled food into him. Exercise alone is not enough, although certainly a very good thing to do.

Hicky

Guru
Completely blame parents, I have two sons(full brothers) the eldest lives with me. Different physiques aside the youngest is a chubby buttons, it wasn’t like that when he lived closer as he spent much more time with us. Ate better/cleaner and exercised more. It isn’t that he doesn’t want to as he’d happily eat veg all day and be out on his bike/playing or at a club doing sports it’s his mother doesn’t invest the time. So many of his class are the same.

Top Bottom