‘Multiple bikes’ : some Di2 - some not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Once you’ve gone Di2…..is there any going back ?

Anyone got a more than one (Road) bike - and a mix of Di2 and traditional cable gears……..and alternate between them as second nature ?

Does anything non Di2 in the fleet ever feel second rate ?
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
I havent "done it", but have tried it thoroughly.

I'm didn't go forward with it, so no way to go back. Its a slick marvel, but does nothing to aid me and im not into tech for techs sake.

The way see it my bikes without suspension, with a fewer number of gears, etc, than my more modern mounts are just as excellent as the day I chose them and the passage of time hasn't altered that. The may lack in comparison, but in absolute terms theyre as great as they ever were.

I wonder if the tech-driven take such a pragmatic view with E shifting? Its not as if we're comparing steam to nuclear fusion here, they both do the same job perfectly well, so is the sheen alone enough to make the old stuff seem aged? You raise an interesting question.

Doubly interesting, the next bike I have my eye on has Di2 GRX. Its also available with a mechanical geartrain but the wheels and othernp trinkets etc are lower spec, so I'll probably stump for the model with E shifting, but would happily eschew that if the spec sheet made the E alone a simple omission.
 
Last edited:

Webbo2

Veteran
I have an old best bike with mechanical Dura ace that still feels great to ride. It doesn’t get used much as my new best bike with Ultegra Di2 is just better. I was going use the Dura ace when the weather wasn’t great but as it’s got rim brakes and carbon wheels it isn’t that great in the wet.
I have a Winter bike with mechanical 105, rim brakes and mudguards which is fine to ride and I tend not to notice any issues usually because I have that much clothing on when riding it. That becomes the issue.
Apparently operating the Di2 buttons can be an issue with thick gloves.
If I won the lottery I would stick mudguards on the Di2 bike and use that for winter and buy another Di2 bike for summer .
 
Top Bottom